HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hogs and Wind? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/190753-hogs-wind.html)

npaden 05-07-2007 11:49 AM

Hogs and Wind?

Well, I spent last Friday out on my land hoping to get my first pig but it seemed that not a creature was stirring. Didn't even hear any coyotes.

I set out some corn and some stuff called "pig out" but nothing ever showed up. I had put some corn and "pig out" out the week before and it was gone but I didn't have a camera over it to tell me what was eating on it.

Winds were pretty strong all night long, do you think that would affect whether they were moving or not?

I put 2 more bags of corn down and a gallon of pig out over it and am going to be back out either Wednesday or Thursday night so maybe I'll get a chance then. I setup some cheap LED feeder lights that aren't very bright but at least they will turn on when the bait gets hit to let me know something is there.

Any thoughts on the wind?

Thanks, Nathan

Garminator 05-07-2007 02:11 PM

RE: Hogs and Wind?

ORIGINAL: npaden

Well, I spent last Friday out on my land hoping to get my first pig but it seemed that not a creature was stirring. Didn't even hear any coyotes.

I set out some corn and some stuff called "pig out" but nothing ever showed up. I had put some corn and "pig out" out the week before and it was gone but I didn't have a camera over it to tell me what was eating on it.

Winds were pretty strong all night long, do you think that would affect whether they were moving or not?

I put 2 more bags of corn down and a gallon of pig out over it and am going to be back out either Wednesday or Thursday night so maybe I'll get a chance then. I setup some cheap LED feeder lights that aren't very bright but at least they will turn on when the bait gets hit to let me know something is there.

Any thoughts on the wind?

Thanks, Nathan

Pig out??? LED Fedder lights??? Why not spot & stalk?, now that's what aREAL hunter would do. I consider anything else to be outright LAZY. Kind of like Stand hunting....:eek:

North Texan 05-07-2007 03:37 PM

I don't usually see as many when the wind is blowing hard. They don't see very well, so they don't like to come out into the open as much when it is easy for predators to approch them from downwind.

I hardly ever stand hunt. I've just never had much luck stand hunting. I seem to have a lot more success spotting and stalking.

npaden 05-07-2007 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Pig out??? LED Fedder lights??? Why not spot & stalk?, now that's what aREAL hunter would do. I consider anything else to be outright LAZY. Kind of like Stand hunting....:eek:
Glad to see you are capable of reading more than one post Garminator. [&:]

You might try to actually READ the one you are referring to, I was trying to get a point across but it didn't work very well with closed minded people. [&:]

npaden 05-07-2007 04:12 PM

Thanks for thehelpful commentsNorth Texan. I had a feeling the wind was keeping things from moving around much.

Idid getsome pictures of some big boars around a feeder I set up.

I know they are in the area, maybe I will see one this week.

On Saturday morning I did some still hunting and could have shot 4 deer all within 100 yards (one within 25 yards) but of course it isn't deer season. I see plenty of pigs on my cameras but not in person so far.

North Texan 05-07-2007 05:16 PM

Do you know where the hogs are watering? If so, keep an eye out between there and the feeder in the early morning hours and as light starts to fade in the evening. They are hanging out somewhere before they move to the feeder, and if you can find out where they are hanging out, you can try to intercept them moving between the hangout and the feeder.

txjourneyman 05-07-2007 07:51 PM

Spot and stalk works well if you can move through an area without making a racket. I have better luck in stands. The bottom the hogs live in on my lease is extremely thick. To try stalking in that mess is a joke. I'll sit a stand and wait for them to come in to the feeder. If anyone thinks thats not "REAL" hunting, BFD. I'm not out there to please anyone but myself and perhaps a few invited friends. The hogs don't have good eyesight but getting a bow drawn at 20 yds without getting busted isn't exactly a gimme. Just my .02 EDIT: I agree with North Texan about finding where they are watering. You won't see them on a windy day unless you are in the thick stuff with them.

npaden 05-07-2007 08:40 PM

Right now the watering part is a negative as well. Near record rainfall for this time of year and standing water everywhere. I have a nice pond on my property that hasn't gone dry in 10 years that gets a lot of traffic in extremely dry weather, but right now there is water pretty much everywhere.

The Rev 05-07-2007 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Spot and stalk works well if you can move through an area without making a racket. I have better luck in stands. The bottom the hogs live in on my lease is extremely thick. To try stalking in that mess is a joke.
Oh, now I see why you suggested me to spot and stalk the first time I hunted at your place.... like the song says, "I can see clearly now...:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rebel Hog 05-08-2007 05:54 AM

Sorry Nathan, can't help you much on this one, cause the Dogs pick-up on the Hogs whether the wind is blowing or not.:DIn 45yrs I stalked very little and never stand hunted Hogs!