Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs and Wind?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hogs and Wind?

Sorry REV!! That was more about lack of stand set ups than anything else!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Spot and stalk works well if you can move through an area without making a racket. I have better luck in stands. The bottom the hogs live in on my lease is extremely thick. To try stalking in that mess is a joke. I'll sit a stand and wait for them to come in to the feeder. If anyone thinks thats not "REAL" hunting, BFD. I'm not out there to please anyone but myself and perhaps a few invited friends. The hogs don't have good eyesight but getting a bow drawn at 20 yds without getting busted isn't exactly a gimme. Just my .02 EDIT: I agree with North Texan about finding where they are watering. You won't see them on a windy day unless you are in the thick stuff with them.
That's a good reply! Well said txjourneyman.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Sorry REV!! That was more about lack of stand set ups than anything else!
Yea Right.... Don't try to kiss up to me now !!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Spike

great photos
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 AM

Hi Nathan, I am a Hog Guide in New Zealand (see my site http://www.ballisticstudies.com).Although we a are geographically different, Iwill add my two cents on the subject"the feed is gone so where are my pigs!?" based on my own experiences (stuff ups)

1. I Put feed out in afternoon, come back next morning to find no pigs. Day two the pigs arrive. I believe thisis caused by my scent putting them off the area for far longer than the actual time the scent has been left behind, they seem icredibly cautious.
2. Heay rains bring earthworms up, pigs will sometimes forfeit baits for a chance to fossick for worms. It pays to open a pig's gut up (if you canget one!) to find out about its diet.
3. Wind- everything hates the wind.
4. 11AM and 3:30PM pigs- Sometimes pigs will get into a routine of feeding during these periods. You may try hunting between 9AM and 1130AMand for an evening hunt trybeing at your hunting area by 3PM. These times are more relevant in wet overcast conditions.
5.Rotation. Pigs like to have a rotation. Still hunting is best done over three or four areas. Give eacharea a set period of time, perhaps three quarters of an hour,then move on toyour next spot.
Hope this helps, Cheers, Nathan (too)
Old 05-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nathan,
If your schedule is such that it is difficult to check baits daily, you might want to bait a hole. There's a few places I hunt where doves, chickens, or rats will consume a lot of the corn put out.
Dig a hole, maybe 12" deep and 12" wide. Pour in the attractant of your choice, I'm partial to Black Gold (I'm convinced boars would marry the stuff, if the bottle had four legs). Lay in 3-4" of corn and cover with dirt, andrepeat the process. Make sure to coverit all with dirt and pour more attactant on and around the top of the hole.
Ifit's pigs eating the bait, you'll know. Once you've got them used to feeding a certain place, the set your trap orstand and have fun. While it maynot seem like proper huntingaccording to some folks, it does makenuisance animal removal a fun actitivty.