Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Stalking hogs with a bow

Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stalking hogs with a bow

who the ehll said anything about pigs charging?? Pigs (like most animals) would much rather flee.... unless you corner them... most times when hunting with dogs, the pig wants to clear the area and just sees the "opening" and runs....

You do occassionally get an aggressive pig, who would rather fight then flee...

When flinging arrows at a pig, you want to make darn sure you are using a sharp broadhead and get penetration... arrows are designed to bleed an animal out, not kill via shock like with a firearm... sometimes, you take a bad shot with an arrow (NOBODY makes a perfect kill shot every time), and need to track your pig... now you have a situation where it would be nice to have a handgun (if allowed via state regs)....
Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM

I've hunted hog & been charged when I came out of the brush into the open where it was waiting. Made a lucky shot, but I've carried a pistol whenever legal since.

When I've bow hunted for hog I've never needed a pistol; but, again, nice to have.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

All depends what terrain you are hunting. If you are hunting heavy brushor swampy areas and it only has a clear escape path and you are standing in it, it is going to charge you trying to cut you on the way out. Usually right between your legs swinging it's head side to side!

If you hunt open areas, chances are they will retreat in the opposite direction. Sometimes, even in open terrain, if you get to close to a Boss Hog, it will show you who's Boss!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

The area is somewhat open where we will try and stalk them. I guess the openess helps by not surprising them, but lack of cover may hurt our stalking efforts.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 PM

You'll have a better chance of a hog tryin' to roll your arse if it's bayed up than you will if you're stalking. Not to say it won't happen, but less likely than if you were to use dogs. Providing hunting over hounds is legal.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:17 AM

In LA. you can carry a pistol to bow hunt hogs. There is no season on hogs or a limit just no night hunting. You can not use a small caliber handgun during bowseason for deer unless its ratshot. I bow hunt them just a few hours south of you and i bring one most of the time for snakes this time of the yr.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Southern Hog Hunting

In LA. you can carry a pistol to bow hunt hogs.
In FL also, but not during Archery Season only in General Gun Season.
There is no season on hogs or a limit just no night hunting.
Here we can hunt them all year round on private property only and night hunting also. On WMA's, only during hunting season and no night hunting(half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset). Some WMA's have no size limit and some they have to be 15" at the shoulders.
You can not use a small caliber handgun during bowseason for deer unless its ratshot.
Here no side arms during Archery.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Where do you hunt at Southern? I live in Shreveport, but I am planning on hunting them around Alexandria/Pineville. My buddy has a lease and has some serious hog problems.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bubbahoo18

Where do you hunt at Southern? I live in Shreveport, but I am planning on hunting them around Alexandria/Pineville. My buddy has a lease and has some serious hog problems.
I have some land south of Alexandria. Its in TurkeyCreek, about 30 min south on La.1.. I havent hunted it in over 20 years. Actually havent been on it in over 20 years. I really need to get that way and check on the place.