HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hunting Hogs On Horseback (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/186359-hunting-hogs-horseback.html)

Rebel Hog 03-29-2007 07:11 AM

Hunting Hogs On Horseback

Hunting Hogs on Horseback in Mississippi
When deer season sputters out in the northern states, you can still head south and chase pigs in the Delta. Deputy editor Jay Cassell did, and recommends it highly. Read this report on his latest adventure.

gitrbayed 03-29-2007 02:49 PM

RE: Hunting Hogs On Horseback

that's the way we hunt them in the swamps of south carolina

JeffS 03-29-2007 05:04 PM

We hunt like that everyonce in awhile to. He is right about running through the woods on horseback at night can be exciting. It is fun trying to dodge all the limbs and trees around. My horse almost ran head on into a tree this last weekend and missed it by about 6". I thought he was going to fall when he dodged and all I could think about was falling and breaking my arm.

brushbustin 03-29-2007 06:23 PM

I have done it a few times in Big South Fork of East Tenn...It is some pretty rough country,so the horses make it easy getting them back to the truck,very easy..Thought i would do it John Wayne style once and boy did i figure out fast not to shoot off of a horses back that u did not know...WEll to say the least i missed the hog and busted my scope...pretty stupid on my behalf..but i was only 17 so i guess you could say i was young and dumb..:D

Sewer Rat 03-30-2007 08:13 AM

This is funny... just last weekend, I was asking my neighbor who I hunt with and occassionally help him round up his cows if he had ever done hog hunting on horseback... I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to hunt hogs :D

Rebel Hog 03-30-2007 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Sewer Rat

This is funny... just last weekend, I was asking my neighbor who I hunt with and occasionally help him round up his cows if he had ever done hog hunting on horseback... I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to hunt hogs :D
Jay, I have hunted Elk in CO on horseback, have hunted Hogs a couple of times here inFL on horseback, was member of the Fl Comancheros back in the late 60'sand rode the Gasparilla Parades, but the Horses were trained to Shoot off their backs or used to the gun fire around them!

I wouldn'ttry to shoot off a greenhorse's back unless I see how he is going to react first!:)

Sewer Rat 03-31-2007 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I wouldn'ttry to shoot off a greenhorse's back unless I see how he is going to react first!:)
LOL This yankee transplant has a hard time with the horse tryn to help round up cows.... would hate to see me on a green horse after that first shot LOL

I need to put a whole lot more time in the saddle before I even think of that LOL

gets embarassing when my cracker wife out rides me LOL

Sewer Rat 04-01-2007 10:42 AM

hey... they bleeped c r a c k e r ??

guess the PTB got sumthin agin peeps like you Rebel Hog LOL

ps wife is multi-generation floridian... her grandfather was a RR dectective for the Flagler line, I got his service revolver in the gun cabinet..

Rebel Hog 04-01-2007 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Sewer Rat

hey... they bleeped c r a c k e r ??

guess the PTB got sumthin agin peeps like you Rebel Hog LOL
?????????????????????????

Rebel Hog 04-01-2007 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: gitrbayed

that's the way we hunt them in the swamps of south carolina
Hey Jeff, what's your stomping grounds?:)I have an idea, is it Cooke county?:D