Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

The New Hogizilla

Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The New Hogizilla

the south is crazy
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my understanding "Hog Kong" was never actually weighed. The 1,140lb is simply a guess. Here's a quote from that article:

Using a meat-processing formula, Bradow estimated the hog to weigh between 1,100 and 1,200 pounds.
"There was over 300 pounds of boneless meat," he said. "We have a rule of thumb, the thirds rule -- one-third for the head and hide, one-third for the internal viscera, one-third for the carcass.
"My math tells me you're looking at 1,140 pounds, almost 1,200 pounds. He was a beast."
1,100 lbs on a certified truck scale sounds a little more accurate thanmultiplying the amount of processedmeat times 3.

Regardless, those are both extremely large pigs!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

For anyone that didn't read the article from Field and Stream make sure you do. It sounds pretty much like this was a domestic pig that got out of it's pen. Looks like we are going to start having controversy over what exactly is a "feral" hog.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Self Deleted!

In agreement with npaden about these Hogs not being Feral.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I thought the national geographic people proved that hogzilla wasn't as big as originally thought.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Hog Kong was not domestic,
That's the tricky part with pigs. What is the difference between a feral hog and a domestic hog. I'm sure if they had done a DNA analysis and a skull measurement on "Hog Kong" like they did with this recent one I'm sure it would have come back as a domestic.

The national geographic folks even seeemed to have pretty good evidence that "Hogzilla" was a domestic as well.

Read the initial article describing the differences between them and it is pretty clear that all these monster hogs have been domestic animals at one point in their lifetime, rather than several generations of living in the wild.

A "feral" hog could be a domestic hog that escaped from it's pen a few months earlier.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

np, yes I have to agree with you onthis one.In over 45yrs in hog hunting, I have never seen ones as big as these. The biggest I have seen was 460lbs and his head is mounted on my wall!

Edit:I did see a Blue Spotin the pen that wasclose to 1,000lbswhich had broken out before. It belonged to a co-worker that livedat Shady Hills in Brooksville,FL....Over the years, he accepted itas a pet.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I think it is going to be interesting to see what evolves out of this. Before too long we are going to see game ranches buying and raising hairy domestic pigs and turning them out on the ranch fora few weeksso their "hunters"can shoot a 800+ lb pig of theirvery own. About the only way to really tell is a DNA test. Even then there are a lot of game ranches that buy large boars that were trapped elsewhere and turned out on their property so they can get a good trophy sized pig for their hunters.

I doubt we will see feral hogs featured in Boone & Crockett anytime soon!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

From what I've read, game departments define 'feral hog' as being any hog, including domestic, which has been free to roam, unclaimed, for a certain number of days. So, seems like 'feral' is more of a legal definition than an actual subspecies? But, I know what you're talking about. To me, feral implies a species that has gone wild from domestic stock, over generations instead of days.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

From what I've read, game departments define 'feral hog' as being any hog, including domestic, which has been free to roam, unclaimed, for a certain number of days. So, seems like 'feral' is more of a legal definition than an actual subspecies? But, I know what you're talking about. To me, feral implies a species that has gone wild from domestic stock, over generations instead of days.
Here's a Link to a good "Definition Of Feral Hogs",
FERAL HOGS- STATUS AND DISTRIBUTION IN MISSOURI

And other States have their own Definitions andLaws about Feral Hogs

GENERAL REGULATIONS FOR hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.