HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Got this one Friday night... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/179022-got-one-friday-night.html)

North Texan 02-04-2007 07:18 PM

Got this one Friday night...

I took my dog out with me hunting Friday evening. Walked up on this one right before dark. There was a lot of brush between myself and the hog, making it hard to get off a good shot. After sizing up the situation, I saw an opportunity to take out a front leg. It has been raining and snowing for a while now, making everything a sea of mud. I thought if I took out a front leg, he might run, but he wouldn't get far. So I decided to take the shot. The hog began running my direction, then veered right. He ran down a shallow draw, and then back up the other side into some brush. Total distance covered was maybe 100'. Then he stopped. I was able to close and finish him with a follow up shot very quickly. First shot was about 40 yards, second at about 15, using my .223 with handloads.

About 2 hours later, I was out coyote calling and ran across three more. One boar was so big, I thought it was a yearling. He got out of spotlight range before I could get my gun out of the case. Maybe next time.

Here's a pic. The first shot is the one showing up low on his front leg. He was quartering toward me when I shot. The second shot is the higher one. He was quartering away from me, and the bullet should have ended up hitting his spine/brain.

North Texan 02-04-2007 07:21 PM

RE: Got this one Friday night...

BTW, any guesses on what he weighs?

I'm 6', 250.

Rebel Hog 02-04-2007 07:54 PM

Way to go Tex! Congrat's

Rebel Hog 02-04-2007 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

BTW, any guesses on what he weighs?

I'm 6', 250.
Between 325 & 350!:)

Rebel Hog 02-05-2007 08:04 AM

Hey Tex, where at in Texas?

skidder 02-05-2007 08:49 AM

my csi calculation determines 354 1/4 lb....:D

Kanga 02-05-2007 09:12 AM

Hey Tex, where at in Texas?
From his clothes I was gonna say Siberia:):D

ipscshooter 02-05-2007 09:29 AM

Dude... That is NOT regulation Texas headgear. Did you go shopping in Oklahoma? :D

Nice pig!

North Texan 02-05-2007 10:05 AM

Reb, that was at my folks place in Woodson, Texas.

And no, that isn't Texas regulation head gear. But the pastures were wet and muddy from all the snow, so ATV was the only way to get around. Temps were dipping below freezing, so I had to break out the Russian hat. Not very stylish, I know, but it sure is warm.:D

txjourneyman 02-05-2007 10:31 AM

I would rather have a cold head![8D]