Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hog hunting with a shotgun... >

Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Default RE: Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Well I ended up buying a Mossberg 835 today. Academy had the model with the camo stock and pump with a blued barrel for right at $260 so I snagged it. Just couldn't pass that deal up at all. I also ordered a slug barrel for it. Won't be doing any hog hunting this weekend since buckshot is illegal and you can't shoot slugs through the stock 28" barrel that comes on them. According to a local shop since they have an oversized barrel you can't shoot rifled slugs through them and would have to have the slug barrel. I'll just go shoot some quail.. I don't know of any shotgun shells you could use for hogs other then buckshot which is illegal or slugs.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: okchunter

I don't know of any shotgun shells you could use for hogs other then buckshot which is illegal or slugs.

This is the kind of shell I use all the time, works with any barrell.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: okchunter

I don't know of any shotgun shells you could use for hogs other then buckshot which is illegal or slugs.

This is the kind of shell I use all the time, works with any barrell.

Yeah that will definitely work for just about anything out there... I do have one of those just not very proficient with it just yet. I figure with some practice this year I should be ok with when deer bow season starts...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: davs2601

OKCHunter Im in del city if you want to check out my set up. Heck Im always up for the gun range. Actually next weekend I have to run to Lexington to finish sighting in my scope. If your up for it let me know.
Let me check with my wife and I might be. I need to try a few differnt cartidges and see which I like best in my rifle. I did end up getting a mossberg 835. Academy had em for $260 and just could not pass up that price. I now need to remember what type of shells I use to use for quail back years ago.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Cool, you are more than welcome. I have been shooting the lightfieldhybred slugs. They are expensive but from what I have read they get great groupings at 100yards.

Which barrel did you order??
Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM

Cool, you are more than welcome. I have been shooting the lightfieldhybred slugs. They are expensive but from what I have read they get great groupings at 100yards.

Which barrel did you order??
I haven't ordered on yet. Going to order one this next week though. Will eventually get a turkey barrel as well. I figure it will be nice to have a slug barrel since I can use it on some shotgun only land during deer season. WIll order it from WalMart.

Question how the heck do you mount a sling to this sucker.. Doesn't have any studs in front just on the stock.. I am guessing I will have to replace the barrel cap with one that has a stud built onto it?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

On my 500 the barrel cap was tapped so I called mossberg and bought the stud that screws into it for $2.50 I think. My neighbor has an 835 and I think he did the same. Does your have the hole in the middle? If so go through mossberg for it. It will save you a bit of money because you wont have to buy an entire kit.

Yeah the barrel from walmart is the best deal that I have found. Its so nice being able to remove the barrel and not have to remount the scope and sight it back in again.

I agree Academy is a great place to purchase guns.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Here it is

Front Barrel Stud for 835 Ulti-Mag(12030)
For comfort in the field, a sling's the thing. Do you have all the parts you need, like a front barrel stud?

Our Price: $2.72[/align]

I believe you need the small washer as well. You need the two parts at the bottom of the picture. Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Here it is

Front Barrel Stud for 835 Ulti-Mag(12030)
For comfort in the field, a sling's the thing. Do you have all the parts you need, like a front barrel stud?

Our Price: $2.72

I believe you need the small washer as well. You need the two parts at the bottom of the picture. Hope this helps
Yep helps and I just noticed they come with the gun...Guess I should have looked at all the little enveloped...
Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 PM

On my 500 the barrel cap was tapped so I called mossberg and bought the stud that screws into it for $2.50 I think. My neighbor has an 835 and I think he did the same. Does your have the hole in the middle? If so go through mossberg for it. It will save you a bit of money because you wont have to buy an entire kit.

Yeah the barrel from walmart is the best deal that I have found. Its so nice being able to remove the barrel and not have to remount the scope and sight it back in again.

I agree Academy is a great place to purchase guns.
Yeah it's tapped for the studs and the studs actually came with the gun. I just didn't investigate all the packaging enough. So all is well and setup and ready for Sunday..

Yeah that barrel/scope combo is sweet for sure. Will be ordering one very soon. Will need it for future hog hunting.

Yeah academy is good unless you need someone knowledgable about guns. I like it because I always do my research and window shopping ahead of time and know exactly what I want. Go buy it and leave.

Quick Reply: Hog hunting with a shotgun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.