Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Dad always said I ain't right! >

Dad always said I ain't right!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Dad always said I ain't right!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dad always said I ain't right!

Bear with me group.The proven hog hunters on here will think I lost my mind,some of them may laugh!Some background on my lack of intelligence...A few years ago while out dove hunting and shooting jack rabbits I ran across a badger rumbling across the pasture.Not wanting to blow him apart with a long range rifle or load him with bird shot I came up with my "plan B"! I figured my being bigger than him he will tuck tail and run! He did...so far plan works out great,now comes the not-so-bright part.I take chase on foot and jump on him! Then I remembered that sooner or later releasing him will be a issue! Things worked out ok that time believe it or not.Ok jumping to last summer...I work in the oilfield in rather desert climate,which is great for snakes...rattlersnakes to be specific.A friend called me to a valve box,which is a semi-buried vault containing isolation valves for gas,water,oil,or whatever,it's about5 foot deep with a hinged lid we close to keep dirt from filling it up.It's also a haven for rats which inturn draws snakes...the venomous type from above.The friend points into the open valve box and points out a 4 1/2 foot rattler...got to imagine there's not alot of room with all the equipment we cram into the box(5 ft deep x6ft long x 4ft wide).At this point of seeing the reptile I say lets catch him and jump in with him! This too turned out surprisingly good! Now here I am on Feb.1 2007,I do field work which is inspecting equipment away from the plant and along way from much of anything to do with humans! We see game regularly,massive muledeer and alot of hogs.Today I saw about 40 hogs rooting in the sand and watched where they were headed,I headed them off to see the ages and sizes.While I was waiting I found about 8 off alone,1 sow 6 half grown pigs and 1 piglet about 5 lbs.! I stalk them and they take flight...the piglet can't keep up with the group...so to get to the point I take off after the little straggler and catch him! I'm stuck with a sqeeling pig in sand,and one rather unhappy sow!Guess what I survived since I'm typing this and I did let him go after the sow and I came to a understanding.See Dad always said I ain't right...in the head!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dad always said I ain't right!

You've definitely proved to us you don't need a thing to hunt with... I knew you oil field hands were a little different.The fumes I suspect.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM

your not crazy.. we catch and tie or stick hogs all the time. but we normaley have dogs...lol most of the time wild hog look after there selves.. great story. you might make it with us. roflol
Old 02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Spike

I'll take the snake in a pit any day over a mad sow when you have her pig....been there
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could blame my non-intelleigent decisions on the fumes I work in Rev.Or even on the fact I stuck my head into the ground at 65 mph this past July(hog/motorcycle run in) but I've always done things strange! I stand in awe of these guys hunting hogs with dogs and think my brothers past rodeo expoits as risky...nephew still rodeos! Guess all of us on here just make up the fabric of life with our different taste in weapons and tactics and likes and dislikes.Glad I could entertain some of you,this site does that for me with alot of information!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Great story! Likewise we have to catch hogs sometimes. Get the back feet off the ground and you canwheelbarrow around a pretty good sized one. Note, a piglet onlytwo weeks old can bite a finger off at the joint!!! Keep all human flesh away from those choppers if you prefer to keep it!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM

by drs1961 ; Great story! Likewise we have to catch hogs sometimes. Get the back feet off the ground and you canwheelbarrow around a pretty good sized one.
going into the camp one afternoon,my dad shot a hog about 150 lbs. wound up to be a 150 lb. boar.at the shot the hog fell in his tracks.I go up to the hog,at that time he jumps up[].I grab him by the back legs,I wheelbarrow him around in the little road.there was deep ditches on each side.on side had water about 3' deep.the other side had an old fence on it. I wallowed with this hog hollering for dad to shoot him again [;please shoot him again for what seemed like 10 min.knowning it was only a couple min.I finally headed him to the side with the water.I ran him into the water and held him under till he quit moving.my wife and mother was in the car behind us laughing so hard the peeded there pants.

when we checked him,dad had only grazed him across the forhead and knocked him out .that was an ordeal to remember.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

That's funny! Isn't it simply amazing how ingenious one can become when he has grabbed something with both handswhich he thenrealizes that he can't turn loose!! How boring would life be without stories like these to awe the youngsters coming up and to get a laugh out of the rest of us who have done similar antics and then are left licking our wounds and wondering if we have all of our sanity. I reckon I'llpostone for yall's enjoyment. My wife and I were riding through the woods one evening when we spotted two piglets rooting in an open oak flat. It was wide open and we didn't see a sow so I asked her if she would like for me to catch one for her to look at close up. She said sure so I proceded to do so. They were tiny, only about two pounds, so it was pretty easy to catch one. I wrapped my thumb and forefinger around it's snout to quieten down the squealing and carried it back to the truck all the while looking around for a sow. My wife was admiring the stripes and how little it was and remarked that it was too young to be out like that without protection from it's mama and if I could catch it that easy so could a predator. Then she asked if it could breathe alright with my grip on it's snout. It had calmed down completely and was relaxed in my arms so I released it's snout slowly.It just lay there as if it was tame. Then she asked me if it was a sow or a boar. I tipped it forward just a little to look and Holy Thunder and Lightning. It snapped it's head to the side and clamped down on my finger just behind the nail! It's teeth hit the bone!!! The impulse to try and throw it away never entered my mind. It HAD ME!!!! All I could do was go to the ground and turn it loose on it's feet. It backed away a foot or so with me in tow crawling, then turned loose of my finger, turned around and walked away unconcerned swishing its little tail around. My wife was howling in the truck as I got back up on my feet.Now we knew why wild hog populationsare spreading everywhere even in areas with lots of predators. That is one bad critter. My finger swelled to twice it's size over the next week and took a month to heal.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your story now Rev won't think I'm the only one with questionable judgement!Doesn't help matters when a loved one sits and laughs at us does it? I'll take the pig chomping down on me verses the sow anyday.Kinda creepy feeling when they look at us like we're the "other white meat"!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, I guess if catching piglets makes you not right in the head, then I'm way screwy!!!

Both these little guys were caught and released. The little brown one was caught swimming the brazos river in Texas by my buddy. It was a hilarious sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.