Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 How do you hunt wild pigs? >

How do you hunt wild pigs?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

How do you hunt wild pigs?

Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you hunt wild pigs?

depends when it is.....during archery, i like to sit in my stand, though the only hog i killed with my bow, i was stalkin', lol....with the rest of the hunts , i like to stalk withmy muzzleloader, rarely do i bring my shot gun in the woods ...or i usemy 30/30.....then when the hog / dog hunts are on, i do it with the dogs and my pig sticker .
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 AM

ok,.... pig sticker is a knife right... ok... stupid question here maybe... when your using knives to take them... are you jumping on them and going for the throat or stab throught the ribcage to the vitals? or maybe another target?

just curious.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM

can;t speak for everyone. but once the dogs catch we flip the hog then stick him in the side right behind shoulder but low. i prefer atleast an 8 in. blade. if we need a hog for the pens we hobble and bring in alive
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kurdog

can;t speak for everyone. but once the dogs catch we flip the hog then stick him in the side right behind shoulder but low. i prefer atleast an 8 in. blade. if we need a hog for the pens we hobble and bring in alive
10-4, good buddy!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: realmaxx

it was my first wild hog and i am "hooked". i went to WILDERNESS HUNTING LODGE in Monterrey TN. they are some very nice folks. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN!!
Send him a PMgitrbayed! He's in NE Tenn and I guarantee you he knows Hog Hunting! I have been in the areas he hunts, plus NW NC...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

All depends on situation. I spot and stalk, set in a tree, or will set in a field and listen for them then stalk. I primarily use a recurve bow or a compound. But im not apposed, by any means, to set up on a hill with a thunderstick and shot them from far off.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Dogs and strings. We tie them up unless we absolutely can't get them out where caught. If we kill one it is with a knife.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: skidder

ok,.... pig sticker is a knife right... ok... stupid question here maybe... when your using knives to take them... are you jumping on them and going for the throat or stab throught the ribcage to the vitals? or maybe another target?

just curious.
Well, in general you puncture both lungs or the heart. It's habitual for us to take a knife five inches or longer, preferably longer, and calmly stab upwards from the soft spot under the arm, up through the heart and up into both lungs wiggle it around for a second until you geta big spurt of blood and then pull it out. The pig should collapse and die within seconds just like you'ld expact an arrow hit it. The reason you poke them that low is because it's a soft spot and on big boars, higher up will be "the pad" which your not gonna get the knife through easily.

On large tracts of public land I like to walk and I walk a lot. Once I covered 16 miles in a day. I walk miles at various speeds upwind. If there's lots of fresh sign, I walk very very very slow. If there's not, I tend to walk fast. Half the time, I spook the pig and snap shot it on the run or pop it when it's wondering what that is making so much noise. The other half, I walk a little and listen, walk a little more and listen, hear something, and stalk it.We also do a lot of dog and knife hunting. I use to bowhunt plenty, but now I prefer my shotgun. It's nothing to do with preference, it's just that the areas I'm usually in is open to firearms and I don'tfeel likebowhunting with an orange vest on.