Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What caliber for varmits & hogs? >

What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Default RE: What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Hey, npaden... I did some checking and found a nice varmint load for the 7mm mag if thats where you hearts desire is!

.284---115 grain speer hollow point over 72 grains of IMR4831.
This is supposed to be a helluva varmint load in the 7mmmaggie.

I shoot a .280 Ackley Imp.and am working on a load with this bullet to do the same. Hope it can help you with the little critters while the factory 7mm stuff does your deer and hogs!
Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM

some people dont understand texas ferrell hogs, nothin but bone and armor skin. all i will shoot is a magnum round. try shooting one behind the ear at 200 yds while moving, not gonna happen. i live in amarillo and have three hog leases around paducah, we are not shooting 200 lbs pigs.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: higgins163

some people dont understand texas ferrell hogs, nothin but bone and armor skin. all i will shoot is a magnum round. try shooting one behind the ear at 200 yds while moving, not gonna happen. i live in amarillo and have three hog leases around paducah, we are not shooting 200 lbs pigs.

I understand them quite well, I live here in Texas, hogs are all around this city. I kill them all the time, I use a .22Hornetor my .243 for longer ranges. Never had one take a step with either caliber. neck or head, everytime, and yes even at 200 yds.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: higgins163

I understand them quite well, I live here in Texas, hogs are all around this city. I kill them all the time, I use a .22Hornetor my .243 for longer ranges. Never had one take a step with either caliber. neck or head, everytime, and yes even at 200 yds.
Im with ya Zrex! This year Im at 20 hogs at 180ydsall with my 22-250
my largest this year was about 275lbs and Ive seen about 200 this year while feeding cows and most of them were not running they were feeding in the wheat fieldand moving about 1/2 mph heck we try to get rid of them. Kids around here shot about 40spotlighting one night with 223's in mini 14's. I should have told them they needed 30.06's Hit them in the head and there going down I dont care how big. I also dont shoot them broadside I personaly dont go for the broadside shot not even on deer I shoot them in the neck so the will fall down dead.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

In 2006, I killed over 75 hogs, mosta .223. Everything that was hit with the .223 died instantly. Biggest hog was probably around the 275 lb. range.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gene don't agree with zrexpilot! We'll never hear the end of it! j/kng Some people shoot enough that they can and do use bullet placement over everything else successfully!ZREX hunts with a bow alot so he is comfortable with game being close and knows how to control himself where he can place a Hornet into a hog and kill him cleanly! Gene use's the same rifle time after time and has a great setup for harvesting them so he has a pretty controlled scenario so his confidence is spot on!Majority of folks will shoot to small a gun to penetrate or too big a caliber to shot accurately! Get a gun,shoot it alot,become the best shot you can with it and feel confident!No simple answere,no silver bullet! Now I'm going to gunshow and maybe go hunt some hogs tomarrow since the weathers broke here!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM

i just love the .22 Hornet. Not a lot of noise. Sometimes you bang flop one and the rest just go about their business.Shoot them below the ear. Sometimesi even put that little 45 grain bulletinto the ear.