Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What caliber for varmits & hogs? >

What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Your not going to be far from Colorado City then!Should have lots of varmits to hunt! There's alot of hogs north of Snyder around Clairemont!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see the word "varmits" used here a lot. A lot more than can be explained by "it was just a typo..."

The word is "varmints."

To get back on topic... I use a .243 so as to get live practice withmy deer rifle.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I see the word "varmits" used here a lot. A lot more than can be explained by "it was just a typo..."

The word is "varmints."

To get back on topic... I use a .243 so as to get live practice withmy deer rifle.
Same here!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The word is "varmints."

I sincerely apologize if I have offended you with the inappropriate use of the word varmits (sic). I just typed it in as I would normally pronounce it and didn't think to look it up in the dictionary. I've always heard it pronounced without the "n". Var Mitt (like a baseball Mitt), not Var Mint (like a Mint patty). I will strive to do better in the future.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wasn't offended. Sorry if I offended you by questioning the spelling, as RLoving1 did it too, making it twice just in this thread. I've just seen that spelling an awful lot in various other threads, and it kind of piqued my curiousity. Where are you from? I've never heard the "var-mitt" pronunciation.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice to see another Lubbockite on here.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a excuse fer my spellin...I look good so I doesn't have ta spell good!Actually chatting and texting has taught me to drop some letters but still be understood...and I'm just a little redneckish.And on the subject of calibers 243 works for me on most Texas deer and varmits. Oops varmints. hehehe
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 PM

The biggest gun I own is a .243 and a 22-250 then a I hunt hogs and deer with both and score every year! Im not a fan of the need a canon club!
roll a 250 with a 60grn partition or barnes x bullet and it will kill anything texas has to offer for sure. 30-06 or 300 wsm wont kill anything if you cant hit what your shooting at.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 AM

What bullet would you all use in a 243 for hogs? I shoot a 95 grain ballistic tip for deer. I think I would want a different bulllet for hogs though.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot mostly 95 Noslers in the 243,I shoot a 22-250 shooting52 gr Sierra match Kings on small game like prarie dogs and coyotes but would feel better aiming behind the ear with the light bullet on hogs the 95 gr would be ok tucked behind the shoulder at reasonable range.

Quick Reply: What caliber for varmits & hogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.