Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 358 Winchester Strikes Again!!! >

358 Winchester Strikes Again!!!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

358 Winchester Strikes Again!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Default 358 Winchester Strikes Again!!!

Just a small plug for the .358 Win.
Went hunting in PA. this past weekend at a place for hogs and a Mouflon ram.
The sow I shot went 250lbs give or take a few. One shot from the .358 at about 40yds put her down quick. Shot hit and she sat down on her butt, then rolled over! New load I'm trying. 225 grain Sierra Game Kings BT's over 49grains of IMR4895. Autopsy at the butchers reveled bullet broke the shoulder on theway in, took off the top of the heart, bottom of both lungs and a rib on the way out. Exit hole is about 2 1/2 times the size of the bullet. Job well done.
The Mouflon was taken at about 70 yds. Broadside, behind the shoulder so as not to mess up the cape on exit. Neat little entrance, lungs gone, and also a rib on the way out. Exit was same as hog.
The Mouflon is at the taxidermists place. He said it was one of the best pure Mouflons he's ever seen. Good full curled horns! The hog and the ram meat are at the butchers being processed into the best edible stuff known to man... fresh meat!!! Hams, chops, italain sausage etc. and the ram is being chopped, smoked and made into TV snacks!
If I could get my pictures to load up on this site, I'd post them. My files are too large and I cannot compress them to get them on here.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Default RE: 358 Winchester Strikes Again!!!

Folks, this is what we call a "canned hunt", .358, don't ever brag about anything like that ever again.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM

There's nothing wrong with hunting a preserve from time to time. If it was all I did, I'd say you could make such a comment. But I hunt fair chase for all my hunting except hogs. We don't have the luxery of hunting themthem in NJ. As far as the Mouflon goes, I've wanted one as long as I can remember. They're beautiful rams and make a great mount for a game room. We don't have them in Jersey either!
Since the preserve had 3 pure Mouflons, I decided to take one along with the hog.
You don't like that, that's fine. As an american, you're entitled to your opinion. However, since I think you should mind your own fr----n' business if you can't make an educated comment rather than a typical joe blow comment, keep it to yourself!! No one wants to read tirades from an elitist.
How do you think the term "exotics" came into this site, or exist in this country? From canned hunts as you call it in Texas and other southern states. Not the bars you cruise... Try hunting on 500 acres in a day and stalk your game. The fence is far from sight and the critters can run circles around you on 500 acres!

Larry Weishuhn, a well known outdoor writer/hunter has addressed this topic on several occassions because of guys like you. He hunts al over the US, Canada, Mexico etc. He states that not only are fenced in preserves acceptable as long as the hunt within the fenced in property is fair chase, but are the possible future of hunting if we keep losing land and hunting rights as we have them now. His opinion far, by far outweighs your genralized comment. Several "key" writers from your "favorite" hunting mags have hunted or do hunt preserves. Thats how some articles get written. Do you think every article on Nilgai, Eland, Blackbucks, Heartebeast, Sable, Aoudad, Fallow, Sika, etc. come from hunting their place of origin? No you moron! From preserves in Texas where they have these animals imported from their home ranges to the US. Here, they live, breed and exist as they do in their home land. For folks who can't afford a $10,000.00- $20,000.00safari Africa, but can muster up the doe for a $3500.00-$5,000.00 hunt in Texas, can hunt a dream come true animal they've always wanted.

You don't like a fence, don't hunt one, but keep your big mouth shut as to the rest of the american hunters who do!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 PM

358, I apologize, I didn't understand your circumstances.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Sorry, I guess I just don't understand the concept of hunting on a fenced in property, why pay money to hunt? I feel sorry for you, for living in NJ, thats gotta stink. Ya know, some people actually have to "hunt" that ram, or that hog, they don't have it handed to them on a platter. I'd say that you've pretty much proved what I've always assumed, people from the east, always take the cheap way out.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Pighunter56, you're proof why people from the East think all you " Good 'Ol Boys" are redneck knuckleheads.
Don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for yourself that the level of education you received did not teach you to think "outside the box". We hunt deer, bear, coyote, turkey, rabbit, pheasant, quail, squirrel, duck, geese, woodcock, groundhog, crow, fox and grouse in NJ. I hunt on lands that vary from 50 acres to 1000 acres. All these hunts are "fairchase". Then, I spend my hard earned money to hunt in NY Sate. Deer, bear, turkey and coyote. That's all fair chase too! Then I save my money and get out to Montana as often as the good Lord will allow. There, I hunt mulies, whitetails, antelope and coyotes. That's all fair chase. And I might add, that I've successfully taken every species I've listed in NJ, NY, and Montanain fairchase hunts. HOWEVER.....
We poor New Jerseyans don't have " 'dem 'der perdy hogs like yall got down der". So what do we do with our limited time becuase we're working so hard to pay the cost of living here and raise our kids, etc... We book a weekend hunt in a preserve in PA or NY to hunt a hog. I can get a hog for $450.00 and enjoy the hunt. What would it cost me to book a 3-5 dayhog hunt down south, airfare, motel, food, etc... $1500.00 or more?
Nah, you can feel sorry for me all you want. Next time I'm in Montana, I'll remember to save a few pictures of my Rocky Mountain Goat to send ya'. I'll try to get a picture of the goat with the fence in the background on the 9000ft summit we're on on a 5000 acre mountain! Sorry I mean, since the mountain is a peak and all and the goat can't go anywhere but on that mountain, I guess he's trapped and all I have to do is pull the trigger, right?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Lets see, 358, I graduated high school, and have a job as newspaper journalist, yeah, I'm just some "good ole' boy", you seem to waste a lot of money hunting, man, I might spend 100$ a season, and, that includes ammo and tags, but, I live in the South, and pretty much hunt whatever I want, I can even hunt elk, for $200, so, you are showing me that you are nothing more then a trophy hunter, and a braggart. Oh yeah, telling me about your kids really makes all the difference, I'm saying your probably 20 years old, and out on your own, with nothing to do but brag on this forum.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56
you are showing me that you are nothing more then a trophy hunter, and a braggart.

Roughly the impression I got.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

People pay me for hogs, I don't pay for hogs!45yrs killing porkers and never payed for one!

If that's your only way, go for it!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:31 AM

Geez, let it go. He spent his own money, not yours. So what if this was a Canned Hunt or not. At least he's keeping the meat!!!

.358...I'd love to see some pics if you ever get them uploaded. I'm not familiar with the Ram you mentioned at all, so I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Quick Reply: 358 Winchester Strikes Again!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.