Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What caliber @ 100 yds.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Default RE: What caliber @ 100 yds.

the 50 cal. M/L will do the trick fine. I shoot a 45 cal M/L as does my wife and we have no problems.these are just 2 my wife has taken with B/P 45 cal wit 225 powerbelts 2 , 50 grain pellets.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 PM

I like the 444 Marlin with 265 FP Hornady Light Magnums.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Shoot the hogs just under the ears. make sure your rifle is sighted dead center. i have known of friends killing a hog with a 17HMR right under the ears. know if you are looking for a trophy then a you would not shot the hog on the head. hog hunting is awesome especially if they come in in bunches. good luck and have fun
Old 02-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Well thanks for the replys from everyone. I e-mailed the outfitter and he said that the farthest shot should be 90 yds. He also recommends bullet placement under the ear and said as long as I have the confidence and ability to do that with either rifle I shouldn't have a problem.

I decided to go in with my T/C Omega first and if I'm lucky enough to take a hog before my 3 days are up I'll go back in for the second one with the .35

Look out Dixie here comes Mr. Omega and Mr. .35 Rem

Wish me luck guys, I'm leaving in a week and a half, until then I'll be lurking. I'll post my results good or bad as soon as I get back ( can you tell the excitment is starting to grow in me )!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

nyd who are you going down to? gl.i go down to deerfield plantation.let us know how you do.ops i like the 450 when i go
Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Though I would not recommend ever shooting at a hog with a .22, it is all about shot placement. If you put the bullet in the right spot, you can handle just about anything even with the smallest of calibers. I saw a hunting show the other day, where they showed this guy kill a hog with this new adult air rifle. Amazing!! People place way too much importance on having such large calibers as .300, .308, 7mm mag, or whatever else for hunting animals such as whitetail or hog. Though those guns definatly insure a knockdown, I do not feel that they are necessary for shooting such animals.

I have a ranch outside of Corpus Christi, TX, and have always hunted with the same ruger 6mm. I have killed quite a few deer and countless hogs and have only had one animal run off on me after I hit it. This was a pig that went about 300 lbs, and caliber was not the problem, shot placement was. My scope got bumped and the gun was shooting about a foot to the right. With this gun, I have dropped 300+ lb pigs right in their tracks. I like it so much that I have never wanted to get anything else. It is about a step up from a .243. However, a .243 is as low as I would ever go. Though, when I was very little I used a 2-23, and killed everything I shot as well.

Even though I love my 6mm, I would have to say that there is a better gun for deer/hog hunting, in my mind. This gun is the 25-06. It is a supersonic bullet that also has quite powerfull knockdown power without going over kill. Alot of south texas hunters use this gun and I think it is the best for the game down here. Take in mind, I have never hunted the heavy bodied deer up north. But, they couldnt have thicker skin than an old boar.

Whatever you shoot, just practice and be comfortable with that gun. Placement is everything. You could kill a deer with a rock and sling if you knocked it in the right spot. However, I would never suggest that you shoot a hog with a .22 no matter how good of shot you are. At least go with something high powered out of respect for the animal. You might get one with a .22 but there is a good chance that it will run off on you. Though I stopped it cold, I can remember shooting a small hog twice with my 6mm, cutting its throat, and then putting 4 rounds of .40 cal pistol fire into it and the sucker was still breathing when I gave up and starting quartering it. Swear to God!!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: outdoorsmanrsk

Though I would not recommend ever shooting at a hog with a .22, it is all about shot placement. If you put the bullet in the right spot, you can handle just about anything even with the smallest of calibers. I saw a hunting show the other day, where they showed this guy kill a hog with this new adult air rifle. Amazing!! People place way too much importance on having such large calibers as .300, .308, 7mm mag, or whatever else for hunting animals such as whitetail or hog. Though those guns definitely insure a knockdown, I do not feel that they are necessary for shooting such animals.
10-4,Good Buddy!

I was stationed in Corpus at the USCoast Guard Buoy Yard in 1959. Right under the bridge!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM

I have a model 788 remington 243.100 grain sf.I shot two hogs of at least a hundred yds one fell on impact and the other ran 10 ft and collapsed dead.If your going for a smaller hog say between 70 and 135 smaller caliber will do just fine.The thing i like about the 243 when u get out at a hundred yards or so their aint much damage to the meat.Heck at the time it leaves the muzzle its velocity is around 2900 and by the time its a hundred its still at 2700 and even up to 400 hundred yds its kicking out 1990fps.energy at a hundred should be around 2000 ft/lbs..Sorry dude im rambling on hope i didnt confuse u sorry.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Hey Guys,

One word SUCCESS! We left NY on 2/14 @ 4:30 in the am. Slipping and sliding all the way down to Hemingway SC. Should have been a 11 1/2 to 12 1/2 hr trip. It took us 15 1/2 hours. I guess we were lucky though because we saw numerous tractor trailers jack knifed and passenger cars flipped over until we got to southern Virgina.

Any way enough of that. Wehunted Thursday evening and only one of the four of us saw and connected with a hog. A nice 120lb. sow. The next night my same friend shot a 70lb. boar, another friend shot a 140lb. boar and I shot a 125lb. boar and got to hang my shirt tail up because I missed one earlier in the day. My nephew saw 4 hogs but couldn't get a shot because they wouldn't cooperate and come to the corn instead they hung up for a while in the woods and then meanderd off. The last night none of us saw any hogs, but we all saw deer and some saw turkey. All in all it was a great adventure and we all could see ourselves doing it again.

The place were we stayed is called Waccamaw Hunting Services and Ihave no troublerecommending it. Rick grubbs runs a very tight and personal hunt. He only hunt 4 hunters at a time and devotes lots of time making sure you are comfortable

I took my boar @ 68 yds. with my .50 cal. T/C Omega. 250gr. Hornday SST/ML and two Pyrodex pellets. Since he was quartered left Iplaced the shot just in front of his shoulder where his neck meets it. He went down like a ton of bacon kicked a few times and that was teh end of that story!

When I went to pick up the meat from the butcher he told me he had a suprise for me and handed me my bullet. I weighed it and it came up 194.3gr. That means that the bullet retained 78% of its weight and mushroomed like the ones you see in the magazine ads.

I need to thank everyone here for the helpful advice and knowledge that you shared with me it certainly gave me the confidence to do whatI needed to do to get my first pig!

Below are some photos I hope this works

Old 02-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Here's another one

Quick Reply: What caliber @ 100 yds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.