HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   So now what? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/173751-so-now-what.html)

weston960 01-05-2007 06:14 PM

So now what?

Hi, everyone I'm a new hunter, always been interested, but never had the time (or money) to get into it. Well anyways, my question is I am planning a hog hunting trip soon and was wondering if anyone had some good tips. What to pack, how to find, and escpecially one I'm wondering about. If I get a hog, how do I get it out of the woods? Bring a folding cart? Thanks.

txjourneyman 01-05-2007 07:14 PM

RE: So now what?

Welcome! first tip- Hunt where the hogs are! I hunt hogs fairly often with a bow or a muzzleloader. just pay attention to the wind. those things have an incredible sense of smell. Where do you live? Is it a state with hogs?

weston960 01-06-2007 01:51 PM

txjourneman, thanks for the reply. I live in Central Georgia. I was looking at a wma in west georgia, called hannahatchee creek. I've been doing a lot of research, and practicing every day. I will probably go in the next couple of weeks. I was going to spray all my clothes with a scent neutralizer to help. One big question I had is when and if I get a hog, what is the best way to move it?

KC10Chief 01-06-2007 03:31 PM

Depends on the terrain. If you can get a dolly in there, load him up and wheel it out of there. If the vegitation is super thick, you might want to get a drag harness to drag him out. That is a LOT of work! Also, if Georgia has a lot of vines and thorns like southern Oklahoma, you might also want to bring a big pair of wire cutters. They make quick work of those little vines with the thorns on them. I have a dolly with big rubber wheels on it. Works pretty good.

txjourneyman 01-06-2007 10:25 PM

Although some may not like this answer here goes. Many times I will leave most of the hog for the 'yotes and buzzards. I will cut out the backstraps and hams and pack them out and leave the rest. Now before anyone wants to jump on me for not respecting my prey let me tell you up front I have no respect for hogs. I will often kill a big boar and leave the whole thing lay if I think it stinks too bad. Remember hogs are considered pests or vermin around these parts. I do very much enjoy hunting them and do so year round but they do tremendous damage to pastures around here. I don't think eradication will ever happen where I hunt but I'm trying!

The Rev 01-06-2007 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I will often kill a big boar and leave the whole thing lay if I think it stinks too bad.

One thing that works well to see if it's going to be good or not to eat. Insert your knive about three inches in the ham. Stick your finer in the hole, and if it stinks so will the meat.
It really does work..

I can't wait to see what Ausey-Guy has to say about this.. :D:DI am sure it will be ugly!!!!!:D:D.. I set myself up for this one.

TXFRNTLDER 01-07-2007 09:24 AM

Txjourneyman, was it you that I exchanged PM's with many months back about hunting here?. I am from California (was under a different screen name then) and moved to Texas. I am in Garland. I would love to hook up with someone here and find some good hog hunting. I got a CVA Optima Pro for Christmas and can't wait to slam a hog with it!

Gruntr Huntr 01-07-2007 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: weston960

If I get a hog, how do I get it out of the woods? Bring a folding cart? Thanks.
In answer to this part of your question, I would highly recommend one of the two wheel game carts! There may be times when you can just drive right up to a hog and throw him in a truck or winch him up, but for those times when you can't,such as some properties where motorized vehicles are prohibited,one of these carts work great.
I have one I've used to haul deer out of the woods with for years and there is no doubt in my mind that the money I spent on it was some of the best money I've ever spent on hunting equipment! Probably saved myself from a heart-attack too! You see, you're not lifting the weight of the animal, all you're doing is moving the weight with wheels. It's wonderful how easy it is to move a 100+ lbs with these things.
I've loaded deer and hogs on mine, and, I've even used it to haul bags of waterfowl decoys across mudded fields and flats. You probably won't realize just how useful they are until you actually get one and try it!
Suggestions would be to get one of those with a wider wheel base so it isn't always trying to tip over on uneven ground or crossing logs. Yea, you can pull these things right over logs with little trouble.
Hope this helps and good luck.
P.S.- I'm talking about one of these carts that centers the animal over the wheels. I just checked and Cabela's has one on sale for about $100.

txjourneyman 01-07-2007 10:51 AM

Thanks for the tip Rev. I hope to give it a try tonight.