Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

wild hogs with blk pwdr

Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default wild hogs with blk pwdr

Suggestions on bullet type/weight for .50 ML on wild hogs.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Default RE: wild hogs with blk pwdr

the shockwave bullet is devistatin on pigsand deer
Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM

SST/Shockwave works great on hogs.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot depends on what BP rifle you shoot. If its a Hawken with a 1-48 twist those Shockwaves won't do you very much good. I shoot a CVA Greywolf .50 with a 1-32 twist. My load, and it is devestatingto hogs, is 70gr 777 3f powder and a Great Plains HBHP at 385gr. My smokepole is a sidelock percussion. Let us know what gun you are shooting for an effective load. You may also want to check with the guys on the black powder forum. Good luck with them! Hog hunting is a blast! I use only BP if I use a gun at all. I mostly bow hunt and hope to get my new recurve tomorrow. Just to add to the fun and challenge!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:12 PM

i use many different type of calibers 22-250-50 caliber guns/rifles. i aim right under the ears, if gun is set right then the hogs usually fall right there. when i have shot hogs in the lungs, heart area they usually run i couple of yards. the 50 caliber should be more than enough knock down power to stop it right there. of course, if you are going to shoot a trophy then a body shot is better but if it is fridge stacker then a head shot is better.

here in texas i shoot hogs pretty close about 20-30 yards usually by a feeder. most of the hogs i have shot are at night. good luck with your hunting.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Spike

Thanks for your reply. I just got a T/C Omega, scoped. Been deer hunting with T/C Renagde, open sights, changed to peep and finally wanted to go in-line with scope. Plan on snowbirding to Lakeland FL. Seen road kill, big hogs, thought good area
to expand my ML season. Saw the ML forum, but since new to this forum stuff posted on the Hogs forum.Was thinking of T/C Maxiball. Looks like I have some range work to do before I get to hunt.I need toget introduced to the shooters in the area, the range might find me some places to hunt other than the WMA. Thanks again.