HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Opinion on hog calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/169919-opinion-hog-calls.html)

NavyRedneck 12-12-2006 07:39 PM

Opinion on hog calls

Primos has 2 types of hog calls, a squealer and a grunter. Are these effective? I've called out 3 piglets before by squealing but I've never seen anything bigger walk up.

Rebel Hog 12-12-2006 08:45 PM

RE: Opinion on hog calls

ORIGINAL: NavyRedneck

Primos has 2 types of hog calls, a squealer and a grunter. Are these effective? I've called out 3 piglets before by squealing but I've never seen anything bigger walk up.
The one I have is the Knight&Hale with instructional hogsounds tape. If you don't know the sound you're making, you might be giving them the Alert sound and you will never see one. Hogs are very vocal among themselves. Every sound they make has a meaning!

Gruntr Huntr 12-17-2006 05:35 PM

I've seen video of the squealer call being used and it was effective at calling in sows. The caller was imitating the distress sounds of a pig and the sows were just charging right in to the call with destruction on their agenda!
I've also seen video of the grunt call being used. The key to using the grunt call was to keep at it for up to an hour. The pigs that responded didn't come raging in, they were more like feeding in to the sounds.

bigboar23 12-20-2006 11:48 AM

Even though I sell both, I find the Grunter to be more effective. I use it to cover my noise walking in and to mimic feeding sounds after the feeder goes off. I've seen the squeler work to bring the pigs back after a bow shot. You can convince a sow to come back with it.

elgallo114 12-24-2006 12:08 AM

I just got a grunter. But soon realized that I don't know what sounds to make. Anyone know of where I can hear the sounds? Any websites with good sound bites?

tfransi 01-06-2007 01:30 PM

I want to get this back to the top because I am interested also in a place to hear the different sounds. I have a grunter and a squeeler and tried to use the squeeler once to bring one in that I could see in some thick brush but it ran as soon as I hit the call. Obviously I told it there is a hunter over there and to run :D

Rebel Hog 01-07-2007 03:13 AM

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

I just got a grunter. But soon realized that I don't know what sounds to make. Anyone know of where I can hear the sounds? Any websites with good sound bites?

Turn up the sound on your computer!

10_20.WAV

HOGS2.WAV

Pig.wav

HOGS.WAV

pig_4.wav

paka 01-08-2007 01:30 AM

Pretty cool stuff Reb,
I got the last (pig4wav) call down . Thanks for the sounds, always good to hear.;)