Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hunting Hogs in the winter >

Hunting Hogs in the winter

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting Hogs in the winter

Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Hogs in the winter

Hi

What is the best way to hunt hogs in the winter (snow and highs of 50 degrees)? Water is plentiful so watching a water hole won't work. It is also on public land.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-06-2006, 08:45 PM

Default RE: Hunting Hogs in the winter

Just hunt them like you would in any other season, except you may want to look for tracks, to help figure out their trail better.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've never even seen snow much less hunt in it, but i would say it's a safe bet that hunting a water hole when there is snow on the ground wouldn't likely be a good bet when hog hunt'n.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

the way we do it down here is look for fresh hog root'n. you'll know it when you see it, it'll be similiar to the damage a skidder does. when you find the root'n, they won't be too terribly far from there. if there is enough of them in the pack, you will be able to smell them (if the wind is right) before you see or hear them.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I have found the hogs move more during the day in the winter time. Food sources run out and they are on the move more. I see more hogs during the winter. Hunt them just like you do normally. Be sure to be out early morning and late afternoon.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 AM

in winter they still need the same basic things, food,water,mud, shelter(they prefer cedar trees). they are more active in the daytime in winter. check for sign just like hunting deer. but keep in mind hogs are nomads, they have no set pattern.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt them pretty much the same as anytime. As a matter of fact, the winter is my favoite time to hunt hogs and is usually the only time I hunt them other than the fall. This is mostly b/c I am fishing the rest of the year and down here in southeast Texas, it is too hot in the last spring and summers for cleaning them, IMO. I usually start hunting them in mid October and really hunt them in December through March.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:52 PM

The one thing I have run into with cold weather hunting for hogs is that when the acorns are falling in your particular area, they MAY move more at night. It seems like, when they know the food is there, there isn't much urgency to get up and out of cover. When that supply diminshes, I see them looking for food a lot more during the day. I picked up this pattern in certain areas I hunt where there was huge amounts of fresh rooting, sign etc.and almost no sign of the pigs themselves during the day.