Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Are hogs the reason i'm not seeing deer anymore? >

Are hogs the reason i'm not seeing deer anymore?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Are hogs the reason i'm not seeing deer anymore?

Old 12-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Are hogs the reason i'm not seeing deer anymore?

I hunt on small lease in North Central Texas where I was seeing a lot of deer until we became invaded with hogs. Our feeders are all rooted up and u could dump a 100 pounds of corn on the ground and the next day it will be all gone b/c of the hogs. Is this the reason why we've stopped seeing deer?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are hogs the reason i'm not seeing deer anymore?

You should probably start thinning out their numbers, then see if the deer come back. Sounds fun either way.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

I would say that they're a good part of your problem...
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 AM

I had a lease just south west of Brady and we had lots if pigs. . .I used to shoot a few every week and we still had plenty of Deer running around. Mind you they typically won't both be at a feeder at the same time but that's OK. . .If I was you I would find some freezer space for some pork and enjoy your year round hunting opportunity.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

For most of this past year, we've had hogs like crazy. I noticed this fall, the deer weren't coming around as much. I also normally see a lot of fawns anda lot of signs. This year, I've seentwo fawns. I've looked at trails, fence crossings, even done some spotlight surveys while I've been out coyote hunting. All seem to confirm fawn survival this year has been almost non-existant. I kinda wonder if the hogs may have something to do with that.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 AM

WE had a lease in South Mississippi when I was in high school, we use to take several nice deer a year off this lease. The like a light switch went off we started seeing less deer and the hogs took over the food plots, and feeders. You could actually smell the hogs and the deer just seemed to dissappear. WE put up new stands and still the lease was not producing like in past years. We spent the next 3 years killing ever hog we saw, we even brought in some friends that run dogs and killed off all the hogs we could and we did this year round and after we thinned the hogs out the deer returned. There are still hogs on the property which we do not mind at all but at one point they really became a problem. Now we have included the hougs into our managment of the lease and it seems to have reached a good balance and the deer hunting numbers seem to be back up, not that they were ever down but it did mess witht he patterns and push the deer somewhere. That's my story, and my opinion
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Hogs in numbers will chase Deer off the food plots! Have some fun shooting Hogs or have other Hog huntingfriends shoot them for you!