Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

000 buck or slug first?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Default RE: 000 buck or slug first?

Instead of wearing shoes, put a few socks on your feet and wear just the socks. In Hawaii, I wear Tabbees, a sock with rubber near the foot and a felt sole. They are very quiet. Shoes are much louder than the other two. If you can walk barefoot, that also works. Otherwise if you have to wear shoes, train yourself to walk very slowly. And when you think your going slow enough, slow down way more. Don't expect instant results, because moving that slowly is sort of a balancing act. You need to learn how to set yuor foot down softly. If pigs are feeding in the area, they will be just as loud as you if not louder. You can also walk on rocks and roots if they are there. If the deer dogs are also chasing pigs around, sit on the trails and wait.

About the ammo, you are doing exactly what I do. Most of the time, I have a slub loaded in the chamber with buchshots in the magazine because you are more likely to have a first shot on an unsuspecting pig. The shotgun slug packs a wallup and tends to drop them either on the spot of close to it. Buckshot will drop them if it breaks bone, spine or hits the brain. I will load a buckshot in the magazine if it is very thick and close but for most situations a slug is what I have inthe chamber. If the pig is spooked, it's best just to let it run instead of lobbing buckshot at it. You'll feel better about letting it go than you will about wounding it.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks Nicolai and others for your inputs. I never thought of wearing socks while stalking. I might try it this weekend. In the WMA I hunt, leaves are everywhere on the ground and it is hard to find the track and signs. I know there are hogs there but dont know exactly where. I could walk really slow if I know where to go but what is the point of walking at the speed 100 yards per hours in the hundreds acres of the forest?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 PM

The sock idea is from Dwight Schuh's book Bowhunter's Encyclopedia.

Your right, there is no point to walking around all day that slow in an area that probably doesn't even have game. You will have to walk slow enough to where you have the advantage in hearing over the pig, which its self will be making a lot of noise in the leaves while walking an feeding. I wouldn't bother trying during the middle of the day. It might be impossible to sneak up on a bedded pig.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used to go barefooted, then i wore socks, but then i got the foot eating disease, so if you have as much as a skeeter bite on your foot, i would not walk in the marsh muck....i bought a pair of diving booties and they have worked well...they are real quiet...i wear them turkey hunting too...actually all the hunting i do i'm wearing them, lol.....
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM

diving boots, huh? That was such a great idea because it gets wet when I walk with socks. Thanks Huntnma