Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 1st Hog - Didnt know we had any! >

1st Hog - Didnt know we had any!

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

1st Hog - Didnt know we had any!

Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 1st Hog - Didnt know we had any!

What part of the Panhandle? Ive shot them at Whiteriver lake near my cabin with my bow. I also see them in Gains county, Lubbock county, Amarillo, and loads around Post. Its hard to see signs of them in that hard red clay dirt.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Disregard my first post. I see it was near Shamrock. I use to shoot them in Miama, Pampa, Whitedeer, and Quanah Years ago. You will see plenty.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you dont know you do now! If you were looking for 1 and you have deer and you couldnt find sign, you shouldnt have looked. If you have deer, I mean you hunt deer there AND IF YOU HAVE ANY CORN OR ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF OUT FOR THE DEER, THEY WILL SOON BE GONE. THE HOGS WILL RUN ALL THE DEER FROM THE FEEDERS AND THE CHANCE OF YOU SEEING DEER AT A FEEDER ARE THE CHANCES OF SEEING ONLY 1 HOG! bEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE IF YOU HAVE DEER, PUT TRAPS, LET PEOPLE KILL ALOT OF THEM AND CONSTANTLY HUNT AND KILL SEVERAL HOGS AT A TIME AND YOU MIGHTTTTTTT KEEP SOME DEER AROUND! Hope it works out though!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive got both on all my land. Have had them for over 10 years. Havent effected the deer yet. Reason is that deer and hogs do not feed on the same food. That is primary food. Deers primary food source is forbs, hogs wont mess with many forbs. They will pretty much anything else.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 PM

yep you got the place . family has got around 8 sq.miles of land .but huntin with dogs is hard due to all the SANDBURRS

Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM

all you need to get rid of hogs is a mountain lion calling your property home. i hunt out near Sonora. for years, we couldn't throw a stone without hitting a pig. about 4 years ago, a mountain lion set up shop on our property. i haven't seen any sign of pigs in the last 2 years. the deer populations have not suffered, but the pigs have been wiped out. i for one say that is a great thing.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 PM

This is #5 we took Monday night. #3& 4 both managed to get to the shrub brush and we didnt go in trying to find them in the dark. This is thenext to thebiggest taken so far. #3 was quite a bit bigger than this one - wish we couldafound him to geta pic.

This is fun!!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Looks like the perfect size for some good eatin'. Congrats!

I routinely see boars walking alone. The sows (with litter in tow) seem to move slower and will often hang in one spot for a long time it seems (and even more so if the piglets are young). If you find an area that's been destroyed chances are the sows and litters are probably close by.

I've only seen a big boar with the sow and litter a couple of times.