Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Anyone hunt exotics

Old 11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hunt exotics

I started Bowhunting Exotics & wild hogs about 5 years ago to expand my off season Bowhunting & produce some videos on the subject. I have Bowhunted Texas (day lease) & Oklahoma several times now & it is great fun.
I have been fortunate to have taken Axis, Fallow, Red Deer, several hogs, a Red Sheep Ram & Mouuflan Ram. All the meat was excellent & the Rams I gave to other people that made Tacos & Tortillas from them.
Red Deer is my favorite & Axis is next & then the Fallow. All have a much better taste than Whitetail (for me). My family devours theRed Deer & Axis in no time.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Headed for Hogs & Rams in June-Oklahoma.
Chasin that elusive Whitetail right now..

Old 11-26-2006, 06:34 PM

I just took a great corsican ram yesterday, it was my first exotic I
think I'm hooked. I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Trophy Taker

Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Great Stag
Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

smokepolehall, try the YO Ranch near Mountain Home,Texas. Lots of exotics and Axis, GREAT PRICES! Check at yoranch.com
Old 12-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ahunter55

Headed for Hogs & Rams in June-Oklahoma.
Chasin that elusive Whitetail right now..

I'd like to know more about what information is inthis video, and, how much it is?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of prices does the Y O Ranch have? I figured they would be high.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Spike

Huntquest, that's a great Axis buck! I shot one similar, with really long secondary tines, but your rutting tines are second to none!

I hunted with Garry Wright out of Fredricksburg(sp?) in the Hill Country, Garry Wright Safaris. I'm not a big fan of high fence, but have some buddies who've hunted with him 5+ years and enjoy his demeanor. Having now hunted a high fence ranch not far from Camp Verde that I guessed at 1,000 acres, I can only say that even with limited cedar cover, there were animals there that we did NOT see over 2.5 days. My buck was estimated at 8-9 years old and Garry figures he'd only seen him maybe 2-3x/yr, hard to believe frankly. One buddy took a really nice black buck antelope, the other passed on fallow only to take a great buck on another ranch.

Axis meat is unsurpassed IMHO. Garry works with Rhodes Taxidermy and they did a gorgeous shoulder mount on my buck, as well as processed the meat into simply divine smoke rings and steaks/roasts.

I won't go into the expense of the trip, it was mid-five figures and luckily I had an empty credit card But it was a great time and I'd recommend it at least once to everyone. Only then might you pass judgement on the experience as well!

My only recommendation is to ensure that your guide intends to take you to a larger ranch. I can't imagine hunting anything smaller than what we hunted.

dd
Old 01-13-2007, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Biffstir

Huntquest, that's a great Axis buck! I shot one similar, with really long secondary tines, but your rutting tines are second to none!

I hunted with Garry Wright out of Fredricksburg(sp?) in the Hill Country, Garry Wright Safaris. I'm not a big fan of high fence, but have some buddies who've hunted with him 5+ years and enjoy his demeanor. Having now hunted a high fence ranch not far from Camp Verde that I guessed at 1,000 acres, I can only say that even with limited cedar cover, there were animals there that we did NOT see over 2.5 days. My buck was estimated at 8-9 years old and Garry figures he'd only seen him maybe 2-3x/yr, hard to believe frankly. One buddy took a really nice black buck antelope, the other passed on fallow only to take a great buck on another ranch.

Axis meat is unsurpassed IMHO. Garry works with Rhodes Taxidermy and they did a gorgeous shoulder mount on my buck, as well as processed the meat into simply divine smoke rings and steaks/roasts.

I won't go into the expense of the trip, it was mid-five figures and luckily I had an empty credit card But it was a great time and I'd recommend it at least once to everyone. Only then might you pass judgement on the experience as well!

My only recommendation is to ensure that your guide intends to take you to a larger ranch. I can't imagine hunting anything smaller than what we hunted.

dd
I traded out my hunt so my axis didnt cost me much mainly just my expenses down to Texas and my license. I got lucky there!

I just got my mount back last month from Rhodes Taxidermy. They did a great job!!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Spike

You lucked out! What did you trade out for?

Funny coincidence that you got your mount at Rhodes! Solid operation they have and they did an excellent 'sneak' mount for me, it hangs in the man room, booyah! Did you get any of the meat made into their smoked sausage? I swear it's the best I've ever had, bar none.

I'll have to take a pic and upload it, fiancee's got the camera around here somewhere...

D

Quick Reply: Anyone hunt exotics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.