HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Big Boars & Buckshot (starting this weekend) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/161383-big-boars-buckshot-starting-weekend.html)

260rem 10-24-2006 07:41 AM

Big Boars & Buckshot (starting this weekend)

I'm off this weekend for a 7 day hunt up north for Buffalo and some realy big nasty pigs, I got everything loaded and I'm all is set to go:D
I was just going to take my 375H&H at 1st but I decided that I wanted to take a Buff with a slug soI made the decision to take a lot of SG Buckshot and take my Boars up close and fast, I can't wait.:)

gene62 10-24-2006 09:35 AM

RE: Big Boars & Buckshot (starting this weekend)

A couple weeks ago we had hogs tearing up a 50acregrain field bad!
we found them in the open field 1 night and chased them down with the truck got within 15-20 feet and 1 guy in the back was shooting 12 guage with high brass buck shot. these pigs about 30-40 of them 40lbs -200lbs
let me tell you at 15-20ft it took 2-3 good shots to take them down with BS.
We took 9 total. the devestation these hogs was causing my Grandfatherwas costingMajor $$$$$$$$$
We also had a sow traped at another grain field and she was in heet and about every hour a big boar would show up and would not leave we would drive up to 10 feet of them and it still took a couple shots! and 1 charged the truck after being hit! BE CAREFULL

Rebel Hog 10-24-2006 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 260rem

I'm off this weekend for a 7 day hunt up north for Buffalo and some realy big nasty pigs, I got everything loaded and I'm all is set to go:D
I was just going to take my 375H&H at 1st but I decided that I wanted to take a Buff with a slug soI made the decision to take a lot of SG Buckshot and take my Boars up close and fast, I can't wait.:)
Sounds Great Mate! Wish I was going with you! Best of luck!

Whitehair 10-24-2006 03:06 PM

Good luck, be safe and shoot straight!

NavyRedneck 10-24-2006 03:48 PM

I shot a 125 lb sow last night. The first shot, a slug, glanced off her skull (not the best shot) and only wounded her. The next 3 shots were 2 3/4" no. 1 buckshot.

The last two were at point blank range. I shot her in the head from a distance of about 4 feet (trying to put her out of her misery). She promptly got up and charged me. I shot her again between the eyes and she stumbled and fell and died. Both rounds of buckshot were between the eyes directly over the brain. I pulled both wads from the hide covering her head.

Next time I will only use 3.5" 000 or better buckshot. Lesson learned (for me, anyway).

260rem 10-25-2006 12:25 AM

I usualy use SSG Buckshot (18 pellet) but the pigs are a bit bigger up north so I'm taking the SG Buckshot, I dont aim for the head when using shot on pigs I find that a shot or two to the chest works much better. I am also taking the 375H&H so there will be plenty on the ground before I head home :D