Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

7 Alone

Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Default 7 Alone

I started out with the intent to bow hunt ,but realized I had lost my release.So I changed gears and decided to hog hunt instead.I've also been playing with a sound that will call hogs consistently provided of course you are in an area with hogs and they can hear you!
As I eased into the area where I had called in two big boars recently, I saw two coyotes crossing a creek,I lip squeaked to them and played with them a bit just for fun,since I was in pig mode.I heard hogs of in the distance fighting,I started making the sound and the thicket came alive with hogs,the first one to offer a shot was a 190 pound sow,I got my rifle up and put a 95 gr.AccuTip just below her ear,I quickly started making the sound again and another hog appeared all bowed up ready to fight,she stopped with a tree covering her ear so I shot her in the neck a little further back.I moved on to try and find another one,I kept making the sound as I walked and heard crashing, a hog was headed my way, I prepared for the shot as a big yellow hog rushed from the thicket I shot her just below the ear,immediately a good European looking hog followed ,she had that demon look on her face that only a hog can get I shot her just behind the ear.I realized that I only had one bullet left,but decided to try for one more So I blew my call a few more times a little louder and more aggressive,it sounded like a freight train was headed my way! A big red boar appeared popping his teeth ,hair raised and ready to fight ,I shot him in the ear! Now I'm thinking I better go back to the truck for more bullets before locating all my hogs so I can find them once the sun sets.I called Michelle as I walked and told her to bring the rack and game cart that I needed help,she loaded the kids and headed my way.
Gun loaded and headed back I thought, I'll try just one more time,I started blowing my call and waited.I then heard the same sound coming back at me only from younger sounding hogs ,the cliff above erupted with hogs pouring down the side of the hill I shot two on the fly hitting them through the shoulders,guess I need to practice my running head shots! I now realized I have several hours of work ahead of me ,but I had to see after all the shooting and racket,they kept coming every time I would blow the call more would come ,I've never seen anything like it,this is the second time I've had this happen and the third time I've tried the sound.
Michelle finally got there to help,all the hogs were 2-3 hundred yards from where I could drive the truck,the last hundred was straight up a steep hill about a 33 degree angle or more! Michelle has now set a two hog limit { yea right} ! we were beat!
The boar weighed 230 pounds and had decent cutters!
All this on a place I was told there are no hogs!
also I've thrown in a picture to show how you haul 7 hogs on an SUV.!

Old 10-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 7 Alone

Thats all????? lol. Nice shooting Tex.

I cant believe there are that many hogs in Graham. I do some hunting in Brock and have not seen a single sign of a hog. Ive been hunting it for over 10 years. Brock is just down the Brazos River from Graham. Pretty amazing. The hogs have made it as far west as Lubbock. Ive shot them in Lubbock county, but still have not seen one at Brock.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Tex! Good hunting!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Wow! Well, are you going to tell us how to make this sound/call, or are you going to keep it all to yourself? Sounds like fun.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 PM

Man at .49 cents a pound alive and the success you have calling you need to figure out a way of getting them alive! Sell them in Newcastle or German if your in Graham. New Gun Money
Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 PM

I will try and share the sounds {there actually two together},as soon as I make sure it was not fluke!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 PM

Let me clear something up,there have been all kinds of speculationas to my intent as far as the hog sound on a few forums, the sound is no secret it is just a combination of grunts,but here is the deal,I'm not saying much because of the following
1 I'm not sure it wasn't a fluke,but it has happened now two out the 3 times I've tried it!
2 the guy that made the call had no idea I was using it for hogs,that was not his intent.
3 they sell for $5o each and I don't want a bunch of guys mad at me for talking them into buying a call that might not be as effective as it was for me.
4 I haven't been able to get it on video yet and would like to if it continues to work.
5 there are so many other variables that I may or may not be aware of yet that might affect the way it does or does not work.
6 I'm not exactly sure why it did work ,but would like to be sure before I run my mouth about something that might not be 100% true and in the end it may boil down to the same question asked about why coyotes respond,hunger curiosity ect. I'm just not sure yet!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 AM

I'm not sure we got your name yetBut if HOG SLAYER isnt taken it may suit you well.
I would love to know this call your using ,as I'm sure many others would . I'd even sighn a letter of consent not to sue you for that SUV LOL
Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 AM

Congradulations on all those pigs. Id be so stoked to take just one of those down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.