HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hunting with a handgun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/160017-hunting-handgun.html)

KC10Chief 10-16-2006 04:22 PM

Hunting with a handgun?

This past weekend was my first time hog hunting, but I think I'm hooked! It's all I've been thinking about lately. Anyways, I was using my 12 guage shotgun with some slugs, but think I would prefer a rifle. I have my eye on a Remington 700 30-06. But I'd also like a handgun that packs a little more punch. I currently have a Colt .32 that I'm sure would only piss a hog off. I was looking at a couple of handguns today. Both are .45's. One is a glock and one is a Kimber. That Kimber sure is nice, but twice the price of the glock. The Glock is a really nice gun too and it looks like it's super easy to take apart and clean. I'd imagine that it is really reliable too. I know other people hunt with handguns alone. Does a .45 have enough punch to down a hog? I'm thinking that I would use a 30-06 and keep it lung over my shoulder and use the .45 for when things are getting hairy! Thanks for any info! Matt

mez 10-19-2006 09:41 AM

RE: Hunting with a handgun?

.45 ACP has plenty of punch to take down a hog. I carry one when we hunt with dogs and have shot several and have yet to lose one. If they are close hit em in the head, game over. If they are farther you can shoot them in the chest. Last one I shot was about 65-70 yards, shot him in the chest and he went about 60 yards and fell over. You will want to use a premium bullet though, Speer gold dots seem to work pretty good, Black Talons are the best but expensive and hard to find anymore.

Rebel Hog 10-19-2006 10:14 AM

If you have a .45 use it. A .357 with a good hunting bullet will also bring'um down. I take it that you are talking about a side arm?

KC10Chief 10-19-2006 05:23 PM

I've been doing some reading about handguns. I think I'm almost set on buying a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag. I went and held one today and fell in love.

Rebel Hog 10-19-2006 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

I've been doing some reading about handguns. I think I'm almost set on buying a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag. I went and held one today and fell in love.
Know you're talking! Put a scope on it!

Soilarch 10-19-2006 06:21 PM

If they have any shorter barreled (5" or so) ruger single actions look at them to. I've gotten a ruger SBH that I love, its too long 7.5" to be used as s "side-arm" and I really wished I had gotten a shorter barrel. It eats up the recoil with the longer barrel and bisley grip..I can shoot 100 full-house .44mags without trouble. The shorter ones 'felt' and handled much better in my hands...but I wanted a bisley-style grip and longer barrel to eat recoil.

The single action triggers are easy to work on as well. Spent one afternoon working on mine its a whole different gun now.

usa 10-19-2006 08:53 PM

I've owned all kinds of .44's but for many reason's I settled on a SW629 in stainless with a 6in barrel. the new smiths will handle anything that the Rugers will and they are lighter and slimmer profile. the difference in weight will mean a lot after many hours in the field. if you ever think of hunting in other states be aware that some have a 6in barrel minimum and I'm alway's leery of semi-auto's, even dirty the wheelguns will usually come thru for you .I'm right handed and have found that a shoulder holster works for me or putting my right hand holster on the left side I'm right handed and have found that the best holster position for me is my right hand holster on my left side between my hip and the center of my belly (crossdraw). that way you can draw with game looking at you without a lot of movement.

racetek330 10-31-2006 08:52 AM

I myself use a S&W mod 29 in 44 mag w/ 6.5 inch barrel. Havent seen anything I couldn't bring down yet. I recently added a red dot scope and it helps with my old age thing..LOL :D I hope you do well with whatever you decide to use. I can only add one thing..practice practice practice

A11en 11-12-2006 06:56 PM

I've carried a Stainless Taurus M44 in .44mag for several years. It has the ported 6.5 inch barrel. Two weeks ago, I shot a buck with it - my first handgun kill. I used 240 grain JHP by American Eagle (Federal). It dropped in its tracks, which I did not expect. The bullet was well placed, right behind the shoulder. There was no exit wound and the deer did not bleed at all. I shot it at dusk so I'm glad it dropped instantly- tracking it would have been impossible without a blood trail.

Saturday, I'm hunting with my sons in a ground blind. Although we're hunting deer, the blind is in prime hog territory and I'm hoping to test out the .44 mag on a hog

burniegoeasily 11-13-2006 08:08 AM

30 06 is great gun. I like the 700s, ive got a few in 700 adl and bdl. Great guns for the money. If you want to get cocky, get a 300 wby. A hog will bearly pause the bullet. I got a 300 wby a few years ago to make long shot on hogs and deer. I works great. Handguns, my favorite is a 454 casull, then my 44 mag. But ive shot plenty with my 45 acp. I prefer carrying my 45 acp. I load a special load for my 45. I juice it as hot as I can, and load a 45 colt bullet with a soft half jacket. It will knock them on their butt quick.