HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   motion detector light? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/157977-motion-detector-light.html)

txjourneyman 09-26-2006 06:12 PM

motion detector light?

I just saw a solar powered motion detector light in my new sportsmans guide catalog. Has anyone used one of these for hogs? If so do they work well? I have a feeder that would be perfect for one of these things if they work well. At $60 a pop I'd like to hear a review before I buy. If not I guess I'll be ya'lls guinea pig!

The Rev 09-26-2006 10:06 PM

RE: motion detector light?

I haven't used a motion light. But a regular solar powered light works good too. I bought one four years ago for 30.00 bucks works great. It's the kind you use on a yard,it gives off enough light to light up a feeder. The hogs get used to the light, and it's easy pickings.

txjourneyman 09-27-2006 06:37 AM

Thanks! I'll go that route and save a few bucks. I'll make a trip to Lowe's today and see what I can find. BTW good luck on Sat REV!

txmarshmonkey 09-27-2006 07:26 AM

Hey txrookie, I've never heard of the motion thing but I have heard of people wiring a dimmer switch to their solar powered or battery powered lights. They have the switch inside their stand where they can control it. They wait for the porkers to show up then they ever-so-slowly turn up the light until there's enought to shoot well. You could probably rig this up for a lot less the $60.

Just another option for ya.

TXMM

nick.w27 02-14-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by txmarshmonkey (Post 1673793)
Hey txrookie, I've never heard of the motion thing but I have heard of people wiring a dimmer switch to their solar powered or battery powered lights. They have the switch inside their stand where they can control it. They wait for the porkers to show up then they ever-so-slowly turn up the light until there's enought to shoot well. You could probably rig this up for a lot less the $60.

TXMM

That is exactly what I have been wanting to do... do you have any ideas of the type of dimmer switch they use?

JeffS 02-16-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by txmarshmonkey (Post 1673793)

TXMM

We don't have a dimmer switch just a foot pedal. The light comes on full strength but we put a red lenses on it and it doesn't seem to bother them as much.

edwardsranch 02-25-2010 12:44 PM

i use a motion detector light set up and it works great. The hogs dont even act like its there. I picked mine up at Sams club for 50 bucks. I just park about 80 yards from my feeder and wait for it to light up then its game time.

The Rev 02-25-2010 07:07 PM

Greg, where have you been hiding these days brother, I've missed you.

falcon 03-02-2010 05:16 PM

I have a 15 watt motion detector light. Attached magnets to the base and added
a red lens. The light can be set for an on time of 1 minute or 3 minutes. I set the on time, attach the light to the side of a feeder and wait. It works great.

txjourneyman 03-03-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Rev (Post 3584295)
Greg, where have you been hiding these days brother, I've missed you.

Here and there friend, here and there. I don't make it over here much anymore. All the ads give me a case of the red a$$.