Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 how long to wait after arrowing pig??? >

how long to wait after arrowing pig???

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

how long to wait after arrowing pig???

Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how long to wait after arrowing pig???

ORIGINAL: cwillard

I was watching a hog hunt and the guy made a good shot and then kept stalking to get another and then the hog decided to charge him.
he should of let him lay, lol.........i sure dont want a wounded hog coming after me......theres going to be times when you walk up to him/her and it'll be dead, but there will be times when it's not and another shot is required....just becareful when getting close to the hog....
Old 09-26-2006, 09:25 AM

I haven't hunted pigs much. I did shoot a bear 2 years ago and had to blood-trail it. I had a dog home that could have found the bear in 10 mins. I spent 2 hrs. My suggestion is, if your blood trailing skills are suspect, teach a dog how to do it. Many of the best blood trailing dogs are small terrier/dachshund types.
Doc George
Old 10-08-2006, 05:41 PM

i cant tell you anything i have lost my last 6 pigs with pretty go shots made
i took a buddy out last night he shot one in the gut and it went 20 yards a piled up on the edge the thick stuff and died
Old 10-09-2006, 01:44 AM

That actually makes me feel a little better. Think a gut shot might be better???
Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

No, gut shot is the worst. Double lung and/orheart is the best followed by liver shots.

A pig is a tough animal but 95% of the time, they are going to go down just as quick as a deer when hit properly.

You're probably nothitting it good.I don't know how sharp your broadheads arebut just in case you don't know this already, arazor sharp broadhead will make all the difference. Dull broadheads don't do nearly as much damage.

A pig shot through both lungs or the heart with a sharp broadhead will usually run not more than 35 yards, in my experience, and will be dead within a minute. So if the animal was hit perfectly, there really is no need to wait, although it's better to be safe than sorry. So wait half an hour.

Do you know how do deturmine what you hit bythe blood trail?
There are many webpages out there that illustrate this. Just do a google search.

I'll try to illustrate them but a picture's worth a thousand words.
Lungs: Bright red, almost pink, highly oxegenated blood with large bubbles. Arrow will have a thick coat of bubly blood on it.
Heart: similar to lung blood, perhaps a little darker, and usually smaller bubbles.
Liver: dark, somewhat plain blood that is clean. The arrow will be covered in good amounts ofplain darker red blood.
Stomach/pounch: red blood with bits of food in it. The arrow will stink and be covered in stomach contents.
Intestines: watery blood with some bits of food in it. Arrow may be covered in it's stinky contents.
Muscle: arrow covered in a grease often with small bits of meat on it.

So when you find the blood, you can basically deturmine what you hit on the animal my the blood you find. I have seen pigs survive liver shots but the liver has a lot of blood vessels in it and if you don't hit a good vessel, then they can survive but it's rare. Still fora liver shot, give them some time, like a couple hours just to be safe. If it's anywhere in the gut, give them at least 8 hours. Just think, if they are not spooked, they will probably run a short distance and bed down. Then they will likely die right there. The worst thing you can do is spook that bedded pig because they will get all adrenalined-up and will not die as quickly plus they'll run all over the place.

Anyway, do you remember what the blood looked like? Next time, take notice.

Good luck next time. Sounds like your getting some action.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:55 AM

Aloha Nicolai,
Thanks for the reply. Yah , I guess on the last pig it could of bein a liver shot. The blood was a solid dark red , no bubbles but quite a bit of it for quite a ways. Me and my son trailed it in the dark , hands and knees through the ginee grass,(guinea) and found half my arrow covered in blood. No stomach contents at all. I tucked the arrow in right behind his shoulder ,broedside . Maybe just missed his heart and lung. I diddnt want to hit the shield so maybe that was my down fall.
Funny ah , 2 guys way out in the ocean , same isalnd talking over a comoputer based who knows where. Who said Kauai's not big
Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 PM

Ha ha ha. Yeah, small world. I'm in Hilo right now for school. There's ridiculous amounts of pigs here. I wouldn't worry about the shield. It's not going to stop an arrow or if it does, that is very very rare. The only thing it can do is prevent an exit wound and seal up blood. It fades out lower by the heart. Maybe next time wait for a quartering away shot and put one right behind the shoulder. Broadside, you really have to hug that arm on a pig. 3 inches behind it could be gut already. And wait for the front leg to step forward so that more lungs are exposed. I've had many times shooting goats where the shot was perfect right behind the shoulder but the goat had it's leg back to where all I got was stomach. Also had a couple times where it was so forward, all I got was meat from the neck.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 PM

this pig went 20 yards

and this pig went over 80 yards

the first was a gut shot the 2nd was a lung shot
Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Thanks guys for the tips and photo's.
Nicolai , study hard Wish I went further and took it more seriously so things would be a little easier for my family now.
The picture of pig shot in lungs helps me think my shot can be a little closer to the shoulder.
Thanks again guys
Old 10-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: how long to wait after arrowing pig???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.