Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs: Treestand or Blind?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Spike

Default Hogs: Treestand or Blind?

This weekend we found a lot of hog sign out where I hunt and I've read that hogs wallow a couple of times during the day when it's warmer but there weren't any good trees to setup a tree stand near some of these spots. Is hunting hogs out of a pop-up blind, near some wallow spots out of the question?

I will be hunting with a compound bow.

Thanks!
MS

Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Hogs: Treestand or Blind?

bring a sidearm if your going to be on the ground within bowrange of these animals. u never know
Old 09-11-2006, 01:38 PM

So long as the wind is right, you'll be fine. Good luck.

After they wallow, they rub on trees. Look for that as an indication of what direction they travel after they wallow.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Look for the rubbing poles and setup a little away from them down the line. Ground blinds are fine if the wind is right, but you can use a strong attractant or cover scent to help out too. A sidearm is never a bad idea, but they usually don't charge blinds.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM

Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MaddSkillz

This weekend we found a lot of hog sign out where I hunt and I've read that hogs wallow a couple of times during the day when it's warmer but there weren't any good trees to setup a tree stand near some of these spots. Is hunting hogs out of a pop-up blind, near some wallow spots out of the question?

I will be hunting with a compound bow.

Thanks!
MS
Can't help on this one! I always ran dogs or stalked them. Never shot a hog from Stand or Blind!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've killed them both ways.....all ways, lol.......the archery pig , you want to bring precautions with you......or at least know which tree you'll be able to climb real quick, lol.....
Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

All of the above. All depends on conditions. I also like to stalk them. Ive taken more with my bows stalking than blind hunting. I will use groundblinds and tree stands also. I live in North West Texas so we dont have many trees, so lots of times im on the ground in tall grass, or behind a pile of tumble weeds. Dont limit yourself, use what is best for the area you are in.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I said I never took one from stand, but forgot the time I took a 360 pounder while sitting on a branch in an Oak Tree close to to a fresh wallow at Winter Haven, Fl in 1970.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I said I never took one from stand, but forgot the time I took a 360 pounder while sitting on a branch in an Oak Tree close to to a fresh wallow at Winter Haven, Fl in 1970.
Man Reb, you are an old fart. Just kidding, I just charish the privilage that I have to learn from experienced hunters like yourself.

Quick Reply: Hogs: Treestand or Blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.