Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

non fence jumpers?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Default non fence jumpers?

is there any big game animals that will not jump a 5ft fence
Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: non fence jumpers?

Yep a buffalo wont jump a fence they will probably run right through it tho
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 AM

i heard pronghorns and black bucks wont
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Proghorns will jump but only if they absoutely have to . They go under or just run around the perimeter of the fence. You just about have to get within touching distance of them in a corner to make them jump and even then they usually run past you down the fence.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wjrich63

is there any big game animals that will not jump a 5ft fence
Elephants, Rinos, Water Buffalos, Hippos......but than again, they just go thru them!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Most of the exotic animals will not jump a 5 ft fence unless they are pushed. I have several 5 ft cross fences to keep axis, blackbuck, eland, schmitar oryx, elk and different sheep out of certain areas unless I open gates. As long as they are not having to search hard for food and have plenty of room to roam they will NOT JUMP. I have a friend that raises Fallow inside a 5' fence as well. He doesn't have any other fencing they won't jump unless they are pushed. My place is big enough to give plenty of berth. Whiteail will jump an 8' game fence if cornered as will most of the others. I have seen hunters push deer over a "deer proof" fence it is not uncommon. Most whitetail can either jump high OR long but there are some that can do both. I hope this helps. I have a game proof Tightlock perimeter fence so the interior fences are just to help disuade the deer from areas and it works with all but whitetail.

Joeypii
Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 PM

thank you, im lookin for something to put in about 140 acres.there is already about 70 hogs. im wanting to add some type of exotic that will attract hunters and still have a reasonable rate.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wjrich63

im lookin for something to put in about 140 acres.there is already about 70 hogs.
Ahhhhhhh, now you have a different problem, going under the fence and not over!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 PM

140 acre isn't much to give them room you will probably want to look at Fallow but don't put more than a few at a time I would think 12 was the max without knowing the habitat. It would have to be real thick for that many. I would be careful about the pigs rooting under deer will follow the trail.

Joeypii

Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 AM

thank you,so far we have lost no hogs.we have a creek running through it with plenty of timber plus some open pasture.

Quick Reply: non fence jumpers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.