HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   sour mash/bait/lures. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/146764-sour-mash-bait-lures.html)

phall2 07-02-2006 08:12 PM

sour mash/bait/lures.

What do you use? how do you make it? any homeade recipees?
I use hog wild and a product called triple sweet

SHoNUFF 07-02-2006 10:01 PM

RE: sour mash/bait/lures.

5 gallon bucket, fill half way with corn then put some old bait cheese (from a fish market) in and top off with water. set in the hot sun for a few days and dont open untill you are ready to use it and make sure you stand up wind... pour in a few beers to ripen it up a little more also. We also pour strawberry koolaide mix (powder 4 packets) on top of a pile of corn. We have used all sorts of stuff but these to seem to work very well and keep them coming for more.

Rebel Hog 07-02-2006 10:46 PM

50pds of whole corn and one can of Red Devil Lye.

1. Dump corn in 55gal drum
2. Dissolve Lye in a 5gal bucket with water
3. Add the dissolved lye and water to corn
4. Add water to drum, just above corn
5. Put a lid on drum and wait till it becomes Hominy.
It will swell up the corn like Hominy Grits and makes it soft.

dhays 07-03-2006 09:53 AM

One thing we do to make the hogs stay around longer, is dig a hole and pour any of these souped-up corn recipes in. The hogs will work and dig a crater trying to get to this stuff. Lots of fun to watch. The red jello or red soda pop works real good.

wjrich63 07-03-2006 10:00 AM

ive also heard if you dig a hole put half a bag of corn 2 beers then fill the rest with corn and cover hogs cant stay away from it

Rebel Hog 07-03-2006 10:12 AM

Back in the 80's I use to go to theCamden Grain Plant which was close to the Budweiser Brewery. They bought all the waste from the beer making process and sold it as cattle and hog feed.

You would have to take your own 55gal drums to be filled and it was $10 a drum. That was the best hog attractant anyone could buy.

When the brewery was closed and moved to Jacksonville, Camden Grain closed down too![:@]

dhays 07-03-2006 10:35 AM

Hey Rebel Hog, is a drunk hog easer or harder to hit than a sober hog?

wjrich63 07-03-2006 10:43 AM

dhays if they r easier i want to try that on my next trip i book at your place.the hunting was great the last 2 trips but my eyes r getting really bad

Rebel Hog 07-03-2006 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: days

Hey Rebel Hog, is a drunk hog easier or harder to hit than a sober hog?
Nah! They just find a shady spot and sleep it off!:D:D:D

My chickens would get into it and they would Wobble all over the yard! That was hilarious to watch.:D

hardcorehunter 07-03-2006 03:40 PM

MMMMMM.....I am hungry!!!! HCH