Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

ideal rifle

Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ideal rifle

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: Chris25

The 30-30 is more of a brush caliper meaning a small twig off a tree or something won't really affect it.
I'd really like someone to explain this, because I think it's BS. I find it next to impossible to believe that a .30-30 is a brush buster, but, the .300 Win. Mag., .30-06, or .308 are not. The .30-30 is considered abrush gun because it's light, small and easily maneuverable. Not because the bullets are unaffected by twigs.
Heres my take. I can load anyting from 70 grains to 220 grains for my 30-06s. Plenty of velocity, plenty of kinetic energy. I can plink praire dogs, or shoot elk. My brother even takes moose and bear with his. If you want a brush version, get an outfitters gun. Remington make a version with the 700 action. Savage makes modles as well , and im sure others have an outfiter version of their popular modles..
Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The 30-30 is more of a brush caliper meaning a small twig off a tree or something won't really affect it.
I'd really like someone to explain this, because I think it's BS. I find it next to impossible to believe that a .30-30 is a brush buster, but, the .300 Win. Mag., .30-06, or .308 are not. The .30-30 is considered abrush gun because it's light, small and easily maneuverable. Not because the bullets are unaffected by twigs.
You are correct! A twig will deflect evena 50 calMG round.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here are a couple quotes from articles I found:

When I hear hunters talking about brush-busting calibers, I often wonder what it is they’re shooting at. It seems to me that the whole point is to miss brush and similar obstructions rather than hit them. I’m simplifying, of course, but not by much, because we don’t hear about timber-busting calibers as much as we used to. One reason is that the myths about thumb-size bullets bulldozing their way through timber have pretty much been demolished. – Jim Carmichael

When I was a kid, back in the '60s, every deer hunter I knew was convinced that calibers like the .30 - 30 Winchester and .35 Remington were (because of their large, comparatively slow - moving bullets) the best option for hunting deer in heavy cover. The myth back then was that these "brush busters" would bore right through the bramble and branches, and those lighter, faster bullets from speed demons (like the .243 and .270) would "blow up" on contact with a branch or deflect off the tiniest twig. This made these calibers better suited for mule deer and antelope, species more often found in wide - open places.
The sad part is that the same myth rampant 30 years ago refuses to die. It is kept alive in deer camps all across North America by hard - nosed hunters refusing to believe the results of numerous tests that prove there is no such thing as a "brush buster" bullet or caliber.
The truth of the matter is that no matter what caliber you choose, if you insist on trying to punch through screens of cover, deflections are going to occur. Interestingly, research on projectile deflection has proven that some of the worst offenders when it came to deflections were the big, round - nosed, slower - moving projectiles which some hunters continue to call "brush busters." – Gary Clancy, North American Hunting Club

Bottom line is, if there is something between you and your target, you need to hold off on the shot. We owe it to our prey to make clean kills, and anyone who thinks that, because they're shooting some slow speed blunt nose bullet, they can hit things on the other side of a thicket of brush, is just kidding themselves. They're going to end up with a missed, or worse, wounded animal to track. "Brush busting" is an old wive's tale.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Cool yours heels fella's. I wasn't tring to say the other calipers were less affective. But where I live you can't see for more than fifty yards in front of you at the most. The 30-30 by what I mean of brush gun is only good for about 150yrds affectively unless you use the new plastic tipped kind that have more velosity and most 30-30 are either marlin or winchester. Both being lever action and both come with just open sight. You can have a side mounted scope but if you were wanting to shoot something way off then your shooting the wrong gun anyway. Yeah a twig will deflect any caliber but to what extent. A fast moving small 223 bullet will deflect a lot more than slower moving larger caliber round will. I don't usually just shoot one hog at a time. In my area a hog isn't a trophy animal it's a pest. I can make a faster second shot with open sights within fourty yards than I can with a scope. Typically I shoot my 7mm mag just cause I like more power but it only holds three rounds my 30-30's have 6+1 and reload a lot faster, have shorter barrels so I can swing them around at running targets. Last time I went to the lease I shot eight hogs. five from the stand with the 30-30 and three from the ground with my 40cal. The only other guns that works just as good for me not you are a ar-15 or mini 14. Again for the fast follow ups and more rounds.period.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

get a 450 they are fast shooting and hard hitting
Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 PM

I agree with dhays, 30-06 can be used for everything. I have shot elk and hogs all the way down to rabbits(whats left). The best thing is the ammo is cheap and can find it anywhere.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Cool yours heels fella's. I wasn't tring to say the other calipers were less affective. But where I live you can't see for more than fifty yards in front of you at the most. The 30-30 by what I mean of brush gun is only good for about 150yrds affectively unless you use the new plastic tipped kind that have more velosity and most 30-30 are either marlin or winchester. Both being lever action and both come with just open sight. You can have a side mounted scope but if you were wanting to shoot something way off then your shooting the wrong gun anyway. Yeah a twig will deflect any caliber but to what extent. A fast moving small 223 bullet will deflect a lot more than slower moving larger caliber round will. I don't usually just shoot one hog at a time. In my area a hog isn't a trophy animal it's a pest. I can make a faster second shot with open sights within fourty yards than I can with a scope. Typically I shoot my 7mm mag just cause I like more power but it only holds three rounds my 30-30's have 6+1 and reload a lot faster, have shorter barrels so I can swing them around at running targets. Last time I went to the lease I shot eight hogs. five from the stand with the 30-30 and three from the ground with my 40cal. The only other guns that works just as good for me not you are a ar-15 or mini 14. Again for the fast follow ups and more rounds.period.
Agree 100%!My thoughts also.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

for hogs...all around...not too big or not too small, how 'bout the .30-30 Winchestor?
Ditto, Ive dropped many a hog with a Marlin 336w 30-30 and almost every single one of them dropped in their tracks with a single 150gr hollow point. This year however ill be chaseing them with a Remington 7400 30-06 but both of those are awesome all around cartridges capable of takeing anything in north america and they've been arounf forever which should tell you something....
Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 AM

I hope your not biased against the 30-30 cause that's what I'm recommending.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Nicolai Barca

I hope your not biased against the 30-30 cause that's what I'm recommending.
Welcome to this Forum NB
Not at all ! The .30-30 is a very good choice!

Quick Reply: ideal rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.