Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

I QUIT!

Old 05-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I QUIT!

ORIGINAL: txrookie

Huntin Ma, I really, really didn't need to be thinking about what was in that wallow! LOL!
lol.........yeah, i know but i'm the type that says it first then thinks about what was said, lol.......
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 PM

I have a lady down the street from me that sells her hogs for $1.00 a lb. here in Orlando. The real kicker is, she only shoots the one that you want. After that, YOU have to drag'em out of the shoot and clean them yourself and she still gets a $1.00 per lb. What a racket!!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Oh and I don't shoot sows with piglets either. I completely understand eratication, but I have to answer to a higher power and that type of stuff doesn't jive with the other world.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 AM

not sure if i would have shot them either i guess they could have became target practice when they got older.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Spike

I just read your post, sounds like an all around bad hunting day.

I'm in the Southern California area where there are no wild hogs. I'll be going on my first hog hunt next month in central Ca. I was wondering, have you thought of opening your lease to other hog hunters? Maybe by permission only or even guided hunts? Seriously you could cash in on your pest, and bring their numbers down to a management level.

My thinking is that here sits someone like me, no where near pigs but wanting to regularly hunt them. I'm paying a guide $500. for a 2 day hunt. He'll drag out my kill and quarter it up. (Not that I'm that citified that I can't do it myself mind ya). Its part of the fee.

Point is, there are a great many hunters and new hunters wanting to put wild bacon on their tables but don't live anywhere near pigs. Personally I'd love to know someone who would let me hunt their land for pigs, I'd make 3 or 4 trips a year up there. $500. is a lot, I only plan to pay it a couple of times and then hopefully figure out by then where I can go for less.

If you opened it up by written permission only, you would know who the hunters are and when they were there. That way if you found they left a mess behind or your land burned up, you'd know who to field dress.

Anyway, just my $.02

PS I'm not plugging for myself, I'm too far away and I would have to pay out of state fees etc. But there has to be someone there who would jump on that.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have invited several people from this forum to join me on a hog hunt. I don't own this land and I cannot charge anyone to hunt it. That just wouldn't be right. The property owner does on occasion let us bring guests to help knock down the hog population. He does not charge any extra since we pay him our lease fees. It works out well. We get an occasional guest with no extra fees and he knows we won't sub-lease his land. And total eradication is not our goal. We enjoy having hogs to hunt. we just can't let the numbers get too out of hand. They tear up the pastures something awful.
I have made a couple of traps andput them out this week. I don't have anywhere to keep live hogs and don't like the idea of shooting the hogs in the trap so I won't bait them or set them until I find someone that will want the hogs. I don't think that will be too hard. I put up some signs in local feed stores and some farmer with a pen will be happy to take them I'll bet.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Total eradication of hogs is a tough job. I don't even think that half a dozen weekend warriors could pull it off. Once they start getting stressed they will move to areas that you will not want to follow LOL. They reproduce pretty rapidly and they are tough as nails!

I have no problems with people shooting hogs to control the population. I look at them the same way that I look at yotes, ground hogs and other pests. If their numbers get out of control you have a big problem on your hands.

If you are looking for a meal you are probably better off shooting the little ones anyway. They are better eating, they are easier to pack, and they are not nearly as difficult to kill.