HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hot weather tactics. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/141874-hot-weather-tactics.html)

burniegoeasily 05-08-2006 08:23 AM

Hot weather tactics.

I usually give up the hog hunting when the weather gets hot, but have spot lighted them from time to time. I tend to focuse on bowfishing and regular fishing during the hot months. Whatare some of yalls hot weather tactics?

Rebel Hog 05-08-2006 09:26 AM

RE: Hot weather tactics.

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I usually give up the hog hunting when the weather gets hot, but have spot lighted them from time to time. I tend to focuse on bowfishing and regular fishing during the hot months. Whatare some of yalls hot weather tactics?

That's it Burnie, it just gets to hot down here(90's) for hog hunting, maybe on some cool nights! Yep, this time of year is all about fishing.:)

Hunter06FlKy 05-08-2006 12:45 PM

i always think about going during the summer months but when i actually go the heat is unbearable. i find myself sweating profusely and becoming dehydrated easilly. if anyone has any tips forgetting through the heat it would definately be helpful.

gitrbayed 05-08-2006 02:28 PM

i've always said if a dog can run for 3 hours in the summer it'll go all day and all night in the fall and winter so i tend to try and catch after leavin a wallow and cut the dogs on them

Tree climber 05-08-2006 03:27 PM

usually I just try to trap a few in the hot mo's. got one in the trap Sat. night, about 150 lbs.gonna cut him and in a mo. or 6 weeks sell him.

260rem 05-08-2006 07:51 PM

Summer is the best time down here as the heat drives em in to the water so you don’t have to search for them all over the place. Where I hunt in QLD it is between 40-50 degrees in spring/summer and if the pigs aren’t in a wallow there usually within 50m of water, it might be damn hot sweaty work not to mention dry and dusty as well but when sneak up on a water trough or billabong and find a mob 70 pigs waiting or even just 3 or 4 big ones then it makes any discomfit well worth while it in my book.

scmtnhnter 05-08-2006 08:35 PM

to dang hot for me to hunt in the summer i dont even fish durin the day i go at nite .i would hunt hogs at nite here but its illegal .bummer

The Rev 05-09-2006 08:21 AM

Burnie that goes to show us the pigs are smarter than we are.. I like to bow fish summer nights too. I am going start some milo souring for my lake house at Possum Kingdom. I can throw a gallon at a time around the dock and within an hourthe carp start their water aerobics :D. Gar come in too to see what is going on.

Rebel Hog 05-09-2006 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: 260rem

Where I hunt in QLD it is between 40-50 degrees in spring/summer
Hey Mate, are you talking Celsius or Fahrenheitdegrees? Down here it gets 90-95* fahrenheit and in the swamp it's even higher.

burniegoeasily 05-09-2006 02:29 PM

Rev. Ive shot some big sucker mouths on P.K.. Never got out with lights for the gar. Ive seen some monster Aligator gar while scuba diving in P.K.. Some easlily over 200lbs. I actually got froggy and tried to take one of them with a hawiian sling. Talken about bitting off more than you can chew. He drug me for what seemed a lifetime. My point eventually worked lose. I almost gave up my sling.[&:]