Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Broadhead questions

Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead questions

Nice hogs! Fire up the grill, you have enough to invite all of us over.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 PM

nice hogs man !!! i have used muzzys 100 gr 4 blades for a few yrs now .
Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 PM

The last year I've taken hogs with slicks and wacems, and have seen them killed with stingers, muzzys, thunderheads, tight points and wasp expandandables. In each case, a shot tight and low resulted in a blood trail of less than 45 yds. What I'm getting at is I think shot placement is far more important than which broadhead is used (I would personally not shoot jacknkife style mechanical on maturehogs). The slicks performed well for me as did the wacem's. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. In fact, my quiver this last year for deer elk and hogs carried slicks, wacem's and turbos. My only disappointment this year was not being able to try out a turbo to see how it held togeth upon impact with shield and perhaps a little bone. If you look at some of the hog anatomy sites on the web, you'll understand my point of hitting em low and tight against the pocket-their lungs simply do not extend back like a deer. The wacem (400g arrow at 294fps) blew through both shoulders/shileds making a crack I can still hear ringing around my head! If you are shooting a lighter bow, you might consider the slick standards rather than the magnums. Oldhoot and 5shot both report penetration benefits with the standards--this only makes sense. I think hogs areour best ready availablemedium for testing penetration/toughness on various broadheads. I think its easier to blow through the rib cage of a mature bull elk than it is to blow through both shields of even a modest sized boar hog.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Try the Steel Force and the Simmons Sharks.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM

I carry the Simmons Sharks line on my website for anyone interested. I've replied to this topic many times on the forums. My best advice is to take terrain into consideration. Down here in Florida, if you don't have blood almost immedietly, you may not find your hog even with a fatal shot. I've seen it happen. Any broadhead that you can find that will open that hole up and keep it open is vital. That fat loves to seal up the hole right before they hit the palmettos or any other thick cover they like to run to.......now it's needle in a haystack time. He'll fall over in some water plants and mud and you'll walk by him a million times and not see him. If you're hunting heavy cover, you're gonna need blood from point of impact to the end of the trail.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigboar23

I carry the Simmons Sharks line on my website for anyone interested. If you're hunting heavy cover, you're gonna need blood from point of impact to the end of the trail.
That's a 10-4 good buddy!