Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Ck out these Tennessee Extreme Hoss's >

Ck out these Tennessee Extreme Hoss's

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Ck out these Tennessee Extreme Hoss's

Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Ck out these Tennessee Extreme Hoss's

WOW i would so love to walk up on one of those about 2am with just my knife and my rope. lol Those are some nice NICE porkers
Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
bigcountry

Yep, and if you ever go hunting with him, don't expect hogs like that. All I got was a 100lb boar.

sorry matt, it wasn'ta great hunt

Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 260rem

Nice they really show some strong European bloodlines what is the history of there release in that area.

History and Status
In 1908 the Whiting Manufacturing Company of England bought a large tract of land in the Snowbird Mountains in Graham County, North Carolina. Within this tract was a mountain known as Hooper's Bald. Mr. George Gordon Moore, an American advisor for the company, was allowed to establish a game reserve on company land on Hooper's Bald around 1909. In 1911, a 500 to 600-acre hog lot was constructed, with a split rail fence nine rails high. In April 1912, a shipment of 14 European wild hogs, including 11 sows and 3 boars, arrived and was released in the lot. They each weighed approximately 60 to 75 pounds. They were purchased from an agent in Berlin, Germany, who claimed that they came from the Ural Mountains of Russia. The hogs arrived in Murphy by train and were hauled to Hooper's Bald by ox­drawn wagon. One sow died en route to Hooper's Bald. From the beginning the lot was not hog proof, and apparently some of the hogs rooted out and escaped and returned at will. The majority remained in the lot for eight to 10 years and increased in numbers. In the early 1920s, when the lot contained approximately 60 to 100 hogs, a hunt with dogs was conducted. Only two hogs were killed, but many escaped the lot during the hunt. The escapees became established in the surrounding mountain terrain of Graham County, North Carolina and Monroe County, Tennessee. Today Hooper's Bald is owned by the U.S. Forest Service and is a part of the Nantahala National Forest.

The boar thrived in Graham County and spread into other counties as well as the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In 1979 the boar was given the status of game animal by the N.C. Iegislature.

The first open season was held in the Cherokee National Forest in 1936 and in the Nantahala National Forest in 1937 (Frome 1966).
Old 03-10-2006, 10:42 AM
bigcountry

Rebel, this is a preserve he is on. He gets them from everywhere.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I'm just answering .260Rem's question.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

WOW
Old 03-10-2006, 03:16 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Too bad you ain't younger Rebel, I would come down and pay you to take me real hog hunting. I want to go hog hunting for free ranging no fence, eat ya alive hog hunting.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Too bad you ain't younger Rebel, I would come down and pay you to take me real hog hunting. I want to go hog hunting for free ranging no fence, eat ya alive hog hunting.

BC, the Lord has been extreamely good to me over the years and I am so thankful for it, but man, I would sure like to do it all over again.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:17 AM

Yep, and if you ever go hunting with him, don't expect hogs like that. All I got was a 100lb boar.

sorry matt, it wasn'ta great hunt

i'm pretty sure it was more than 100lbs never knew of matt having anything in that was much if any under 150
Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

Well, I got 4 people that posts on here that can verify. Bruce tried to say it was 150, I held it up straight in front of my by it legs, and looked at them both, and said "guys I am one big boy, but I hold out 150lbs straigt in front of me.

I found out there'sa huge reason Caryonah, is booked to the tilt pretty well all the time.

I was told 100acres fensed in area. It was more like maybe 15-20. My hunting crew saw all sides of the fense several times.

You tell me?

Quick Reply: Ck out these Tennessee Extreme Hoss's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.