Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Keeping Hogs Out

Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Keeping Hogs Out

I live in Texas and I am considering running feeders year round this year for the first time. Up front, yes it is legal and I'm not here to argue ethics, morals, and so on.

Hogs have hit us hard this year and we are going to build a "pen" to keep them out. I have heard lots of ideas on this, but our pen is going to be barbed wire (probably 3 strands) and probably 3 foot high.

My question: Almost all hogs in our area cross under fences (duh, I know), but how low should my bottom strand be to prevent this. By the way, we are not talking small southern javelinas. We are talking HOGS and their piglets. Any opinions, experiences, or so on??? Thank you in advance for your input.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Keeping Hogs Out

barb wire is totaly out of the ? hahah you should get some red top fence or better yet Hog panel and do it up my dad has 5 strand of barbed wire and they still go threw it, corse he really doesnt mind much NEmore =). I have seen them force there way threw the red top fence after a while but it will work. I also feed year round the problem is if its not hog/cattle panel (piglets will still go threw the cattle panel) they will force threw cause htey smell the food =). Hogs are very smart animals.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM

I've heard of using hog panels.....Are they expensive and do they
come in different heights, lengths, etc.??
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tractor Supply Co. has hog panels 34" x 16' long for 16.94
52 x 16' long for 21.99
Your looking at abouttwo bucks a footto do that way... and that the cheapest way I know. When you figure post and concrete to set them in.

ORcall us to have hog hunting party at your place.. ... I am sure most of us Texas boys would be happy to help you out.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:20 PM

OK, so how big should this "pen" be? If I made it four sided and
used one 16' panel per side, would that be enough??

I would love to host a pig hunting party. I have no use for those
critters. The bad thing is that they just show up at all different times and
have yet to show up in the daylight. I have cameras up and they like to
come in between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. Worse than that, they don't come in
every day.

The real bad news is that there were already four of five huge sows this
year and a ton of piglets. Can't wait til next season[:@]
Old 02-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hogs will go right through barb wire and not even slow down. Hog panels are the only way to slow them down though they will get get through eventually.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM

yea The Rev pretty much coverd the panel hog panel here goes 13.99 for 34"x16' but it will keep them out, maybe run a strand of barbwire across the bottom. still this will only keep them out for a while, eventually they will burrow or push enough to get in. I have had my feeder boxed in 1panel on each side with 2 T post in the middle for about 3 years and they havnt got in yet, YET being the key word =) they are tearing it up pretty good around there tho.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tplay103

I live in Texas and I am considering running feeders year round this year for the first time. Up front, yes it is legal and I'm not here to argue ethics, morals, and so on.

Hogs have hit us hard this year and we are going to build a "pen" to keep them out. I have heard lots of ideas on this, but our pen is going to be barbed wire (probably 3 strands) and probably 3 foot high.

My question: Almost all hogs in our area cross under fences (duh, I know), but how low should my bottom strand be to prevent this. By the way, we are not talking small southern javelinas. We are talking HOGS and their piglets. Any opinions, experiences, or so on??? Thank you in advance for your input.
You dont need a pen to keep hogs out ...just put a picture of THIS hog up and I am sure it will scare even the tuffest hogs out of your county as you can see she knows HOW to Hawg call ...

dd

Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: Tplay103

You dont need a pen to keep hogs out ...just put a picture of THIS hog up and I am sure it will scare even the tuffest hogs out of your county as you can see she knows HOW to Hawg call ...

dd

Yep my favorite hog too....

Old 02-14-2006, 08:21 PM

Yep 3 strands of barb wont even slow em down I have seen them run through 5 wires 6” apart running 18,000 volts. If there a pest have you considered making a pig trap then you can just show up the next morning and put a bullet in them, that or you could tie them up and take them to a chiller for some cash.

Quick Reply: Keeping Hogs Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.