Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hypothetical:  How far north can hogs live? >

Hypothetical: How far north can hogs live?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hypothetical: How far north can hogs live?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hypothetical: How far north can hogs live?

ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

For a while I thought our nordic herds were something to mention but I have never heard of euroasian pigs going further than 60 degrees north but you got that beaten for sure.
This is just to give you an idea, 60° north is our border between Manitoba and the territories and 49° is our border to the states...
Old 01-21-2006, 06:53 AM

With all the negative experience of introducing new speciesaround the world your pigs probably wouldhave to be eradicated.[]I guess that in the far north many plants often grow very very slowly and a pig can probably ruine large areas for quite some time.

The harassments and problems can perhaps be related to the facts that the pigs dont find enough to eat and are getting desperate. Or that they are first generation escapers and remembers that food comes from humans.
I am only guessing now[&:]
Old 01-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with you 3D... VT. sorry for the highjack it was not my intent...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: trailer

I would have to agree with you 3D... VT. sorry for the highjack it was not my intent...
No problem, you guys answered my question. I guess hogs in VT is possible, though I really hope they don't move up this far.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

No problem, you guys answered my question. I guess hogs in VT is possible, though I really hope they don't move up this far.

VT, are you Jewish?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

VT, are you Jewish?
lol. No, I just know that a population of one more large hungry animal would make the local ecosystem devoid of food. Between the moose, deer, and turkey, we're cutting it close as it is.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

I saw aphoto in the DEC office here in Fairbanks, Alaska of a guy with a feral hog that he killed incidentally while moose hunting in the Mat-Su valley in southcentral Alaska. I know of two reputable sources that have seen feral hogs outside of Fairbanks as well. Likely farm escapees. Last year a guy reported that there was a large group of feral hogs roaming through the Big Susitna Drainage south of Denali National Park. They're actually listed in the hunting regulations up here as deleterious exotic game. No season no limit. I doubt their survival rate is very high considering all the bears around here. That and it's -48 here today.

AK Jeff
Old 01-25-2006, 06:02 PM

if bear were a real threat to them we wouldn't have them here in east tn. i'm sure the bear kill a few though
Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

Not many grizzlies in east TN last time I checked
Old 01-28-2006, 07:34 AM

We have hogs in southwest Wisconsin and can they do damage. Our cornfields get knocked down pretty good, alfalfa fields rutted up about 3-4 inches deep and the woods gets knocked down form them looking for acorns and the like. Just went out last weekend looking for sign after a snowfall and not a track to be seen. In the summer though they seem to be very active and strictly nocturnal. I'll try and attach a picture I took of them w/ my camera. Sorry tried picture but file to large.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical: How far north can hogs live?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.