Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog mishaps

Old 12-21-2005, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default hog mishaps

lets here about your hog mishaps....i havent really had one, the closest i came to getting hurt was the one hog i shot came running right towards me, but i jumped out of the way....i think they call it a death run...but i didnt know it at the time,i freaked,lol.....didnt know i could move that fast,.lol......
i did meet a guy that was let's say " going potty", he bent down , the next thing he knew he was being tossed through the air, a big ol boar hog got him and cut him real bad, i was blessed to see scares, lol....not really a blessing, kinda nasty if you ask me,lol.but let's share some stories......especially for bigworm, i really dont want him to get hurt out there in the dark.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hog mishaps

One night about 11PM 4 of my hog hunting buddies came to my home to invite me on a unexpested hog hunt about 3miles from my place on a 3000 acre tract which they had no permission to hunt. A boar had been spotted on this property that went 400+ and they wanted to take it at night without dogs. I said NO I was not interested on this hunt.

They spotted the hog and took chase after him. The hog went into a large pond, and remember its pitch dark with 4 guy's running around after this Boss BoarHog. My hunting partner of 45yrs (Jerry)went with them and shot twice in the water at the hog. Pat was standing at the other end of the pond and one of the bullets hit him inbetween the legs and knocked a big chunck of one of his buttcheaks.Iggy went running to get the jeep which was about 1 mile away from them. He came back crashing fences like a mad man. They loaded Pat and started out when they flipped and rolled the jeep, but still driveable. They stopped at a store on the way to the hospital and bought some ice bags to place on Pats wound. Pat made it thru this ordeal and two years later was shot in the heart with a .22. Two columbians and a Puerto Rican girl wanted his gold chain and medal and he would not give it up!

Bigworm, you make sure you know your hunting partners when hunting hogs at night!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Back in the late 70's we organized a 4 man hog hunt in Perry,FL..One of the guy's was a brother-in-law of one of the hunters and never had been doghog hunting before. He took his 1911 .45 pistol and was bragging that there was no hog alive that could get away from him. We were all afraid of him killing one of the hogs, that we tried to explain how it was done.
Well, some of the others and I had taken 6 or 7 75-100 pounders and wanted a 250-300 pounder, so we kept hunting that afternoon untill the dogs found a big one that we wanted and started running after the dogs. This guy namedArtie with his .45 did not keep up with us and stayed behind. The boar circled his direction and met this guy and charged him running between his legs and ripping the insides of both legs. He stayed in ICU in the hospital for 4 days and had extensive multiple surgeries and still walks with a dragging limp on one leg.
He never killed the hog, cause it happened so fast!

All we got out of him was excuses why he could'nt shoot the hog fast enough. What I believe is that he was soscared that he froze on the spot with the .45 and all.

We say I'll do this and I'll do that if that happened to me,most of the unexpirenced hog hunters, would'nt know wetherto $het or go blind in that situation!

Always be chosey of your hunting partners and always have a plan on what you and how you are going to do the hunt that day. Everytime is going to be different!
Take this advice from an Old Fart thathas Hadbeen doing it for almost 50yrs!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I have seen many expirenced hog hunters get cut by a hog on thierforearms, when tieing the legs on a hog. All it takes is 1 second for that hog toslash you on the arm!

Always, Caution, Caution, Caution, when hunting or handling wild hogs!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

You see, it not only happens here in the states, but all around the world!

Hunters kill friend in wild boar mix-up
A group of hunters shot dead a 54-year-old member of their party yesterday after apparently mistaking him for a boar while on an expedition in northeastern Greece. The unnamed man had set off on a trip to kill wild pigs in a forest near the village of Palios Zigos, south of Xanthi, with nine fellow enthusiasts. They set up an ambush for the boar and waited for an animal to appear. When some members of the group heard a rustling behind a bush, they let off a volley of large-bore shot which fatally injured the unsuspecting hunter. The hunters then raced the 54-year-old to the local hospital but doctors pronounced him dead on arrival. A prosecutor is investigating the case. It is the second incident of its kind to have taken place in the area recently — another man was accidentally shot dead by his brother while hunting near Kavala last month.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

WOAI: San Antonio News - Hunting Accident Kills 6-Year-Old Girl
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have been cut 3 times and jumped over more hogs then I can count but here is my favorite hog hunting story.....

I went to my buddy's place in MS to do some springtime turkey hunting. First morning we are getting lots of responses but could not get a tom to get closer then about 60 yards, but this is the first day and this will be a cake walk. The afternoon it started to rain......It stopped the next day after dropping 9 inches of rain ond the tempeture about 30 degrees. It completely flooded the pearl river flood plain and most of our turkey hunting land. I did go out the next day. had no luck with the turkeys but had a sow with lots of pigs walk by me at about 25 yards. At supper I mentioned it to my friend and his brother. We decide that we would take one old dog and a couple of young dogs and go catch the sow and pigs. No need for a catch dog on this one.....Well of course we did not find the sow. We found her great grand daddy. Once he was bayed and we got close the old dog and one of the younger dogs tried to catch and hold him. I am the smallest and the fastest so I was there first. I got in the brush and grapped the hog by one back leg. He knocked the dogs at about this time and started backing up. I was caught in the vines and went down with him on top of me. I managed to get back up but lost my hold. My buddies had shown up at about this time. One of them had a white headed pup with him that did not see very well. I guess I must have looked like a hog because he bit me twice in the ass......We did not catch that hog but did have a couple of dogs that we had to sew up.

The next evening we decided that we would head back out a little better prepared. It is not often that the river gets out like this and pushes the hogs out. First jump out of the truck we jump the sow and pigs.....Get the dogs off of them and head over towards where we had lost the hog the night before. By the way I think I forgot to mention that it happened to be on state land where you are not suppose to be hunting and of course it was during turkey season and you are not suppose to be running dogs. Now the state biologist over this plae is a friend of my buddies and had told him he could doing anything he wanted if he was going after hogs but I was nervous that he may have forgotten to tell the wardens about this little arrangement....Anyway the dogs got on another big boar. It got dead quite and we could hear an animal blowing. Well the dogs had caught this hog in an old flooded slew. There were about 7 of us on the trip. My 2 buddies and me striped down to our jeans and went in. Did I mention it was maybe 40 degrees? Anyway both of my buds are over 6 feet tall. I an 5'6". They could reach bottom. I was swimming. After about 100 yards we got to the dogs and they had almost drown the hog. We got the dogs off and got the hog in a flooded brush pile where we got him tied. On e friend got in front carring a hurt dog. I grapped his collar with one hand and held a dog leash wrapped around the hogs nose with the other. My other friend was pushing from the back. We made it out and one of the guys (buddies brother-in-law) had walked back to his place (borders the goverment) and brought a 4 wheeler in with a small trailer. We loaded everything up and headed back out. Leaving really nice ruts though the goverment to a gate and though the brother-in-laws place. I guess the warders did not care and after about 2 hours in a hot shower I finally got warm again....

I guess the good Lord figured that I needed a change in luck and gave me a couple of turkeys the next day. 7 inch beard and a 10 inch beard. Both with one shot. Yea it was blind luck but I deserved it at this point....

-john
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Nothing as great as these but I did try to grow a tree real fast one time.

I was walking down the edge of a river bed one morning and suddenly found myself in the middle of about 15 hogs and ?? piglets. Everything was quiet for about . that long. I was looking at them and they were looking at me, then all hell broke loose. Lucky for me they scattered like a bunch of quail. I was close to a barbwire fence corner and made for and cleared it just as a big sow and about 8 young came flying past me.It was over in about 3 min. I did not get hurt but I did had this strange feeling that I might need to change my pants.lol
Old 12-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

i was home on leave one year and hadnt been able to do any hunting for a while. this particular morning i had asked my wife to go road hunting with me, i was hoping to see a coyote or a hog. we had been out a few hours and were going to give up and head back to the house when out of some pasture/crp grass came 3 good size boars. all i had was my 6mm pump. as i bailed out of the truck the boars turned and headed west into some cotton. it was september and the cotton was tall and green. i jumped back in and did the dukes of hazard to the west turn role of this cotton field and made a left hoping to cut them off. we waited a minute and i finally caught a glimpse of one making his way straight toward me. i had the rifle out the window, got the hog i my scope and dumped him. after the shot i could see the other two boars running south parralel with the turn role i was on. i sped up and caught the front hog and stopped several cotton roles in front of him waiting for him to come accross. he did and i dropped him. the last pig was just a few roles back and when he got to same spot i dropped him too.

now the story gets good. i had to get these hogs out of the cotton field. i got out of the truck and walked to where the last two hogs had dropped to see my success. one of these pigs wasnt dead yet so i did the second shot to the head and finished him. we went back to find the first hog i shot and as my wife and were walking thru the cotton my had veered to the left of me a bit. she spotted the boar and immediatly stated that he wasnt dead and that he was looking at her. i yelled at her and told her to get back behind me. i circled around to get behind him and shoot him in the head. i got to about 20 yards from him but couldnt get a good aim on his head so i stepped over a role of cotton to get in the same role as him. as stepped over, i tripped on the cotton and the boar stood and turned and made this horrible sound, opened his mouth and charged me. as i was trying to get to my feet my wife is screaming "shooooooot!!!!!" i didn't even get the gun to my shoulder and shot from the hip. the bullet hit the pig over his left eye and he slid to within 2 feet from me foot. he had 2" tusks and weighed 220lbs. my wife asked me why it took it so long for me to shoot or run? i told her the only that worked on my body at that time was my finger and colon.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Seen a death run last night. I'll be posting seperatly in another post as well, but I saw Ma talk about the Death Run so I figured I'd chime in. We heard him in the Palmettos crashing and waited as we slowly approached where the sound was. Shotguns shouldered off course. He stepped out, we both shot at the same time right behind the shoulder. A 12 and a 20 guage Rottweiler Magnum slug. He didn't even flich. Just bolted in a 180 turn and ran right for us. When his back is 3 1/3 feet off the ground and he's in a full sprint, all you see is 4 feet of Black hide comin at you. It was right at dark too I might add. As we ran out of his way Sgt. Rock threw another on his way one handed as we split. That was enough to change his direction. It sure was a death run!!! Here he is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.