Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs at night Florida?

Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hogs at night Florida?

ORIGINAL: Bigworm1

Well I would hunt fron a stand. But if you guys think it is a bad idea then I will rethink that. I am still new to all this. The guys im with know what they are doing.

Big, I have never heard of hunting hogs at night from a tree stand, but what ever you want to do Partner!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Well maybe im a$$ backwards. We have a trail where they come out of the swamp at night. So I can hear them coming. Its white sand and with a 50mm scope I can see them. You can hear them most of the time so we could spot them and then shot. But if you guys think this is a bad idea then maybe I shouldn't do it that way. Maybe we will just take the trucks out along the roads and see if we can see them. You can see where they have been all along the roads at night.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigworm1

Its white sand and with a 50mm scope I can see them.

Big, I'm not trying to be rude to you, but I'm quessing from your quote, that the 50mm scope is InFra-Red for night vision?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:24 AM

No it not just a Simmoms 3-9X50. I was told by a friend that the 50mm will let more light in. I have been able to see when its dark on the white sand if the moon is out some. Is this not true that the 50mm will let more light in?

Hey Rebel I havn't takin anything to be rude. I don't have the thin skin. I came here asking you guys cuz you know allot more about this stuff then me. I take any info you guys say and go from there.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:45 AM

Ive neverbeen in Florida and am probably far from as experienced as others here on the forum (That means you, for instance, Rebelhog). That saidI can statethat Ive never heard of anyone hunt with dogs at night around here but regulary from stands at night in moonlight with a good scope. Like a8x56, as expensive as you can get, with a really thick or illuminated reticleat best,but it is easy enough to see if your kit works. Shoot at night at a black target and you will know. Quality of the scope is probably a better messurement tool than the following but the exit pupil in darkness of an human eye is around 7mm so all the light that get in that area is useful. The formula Ive been taught for brightness in scopes are this:

objective size in mm/ magnification=exit pupil size in mm.

So if you have a 50 mm lens your optimal magnification would in accordence withthis theory be seven times.

Arund herepigs aremostly huntedwith baitwith hay spread on the ground to make the pig appear brighter against the background. Much like the sand would in your description. Stand makes the shot easier and makes it also easier to determine gender and to find an animal in your desired size.

Good luck sirand keep the forum informed on your progress, will you please!

And then if no other pigs show, we can always check out Willy the boarand his friends livehere www.wildlife.tv/en/index.htm

3D

Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt them at night as well from a stand. Like 3Ddepression said use a good scope and with any moonlight alot of times you can shoot without a light. We never hunt alone at night because there is a danger of something happening, but it is really effective way to hunt them. We normally have one person holding a light and the other perrson shooting if we need additional light. With my gun I use if I have any moonlight at all I can see really good and have no problems shooting without a light. I use a Marlin .450 with a Ziess 3 x 9 x 50 which gathers alot of light.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

Ive neverbeen in Florida and am probably far from as experienced as others here on the forum (That means you, for instance, Rebelhog).

3D

Dog hog hunted for 45+yrs at night! Never in all those years did I hunted hogs from a tree stand!

Old 12-28-2005, 01:31 AM

How does your dogs work at night?
Do they pin the pig for a stalk or do they drive them to positioned shooters?
Why at night? Id though it more dangerous for the dog?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

How does your dogs work at night?
Do they pin the pig for a stalk or do they drive them to positioned shooters?
Why at night? Id though it more dangerous for the dog?

No, the 2bay dogs keep them at bay and the 2 catch dogscome and 1 chumps on his nuts and the other on his snout, then the other 2 dogs join in.
I just drive slowly down the logging roadsand the dogs let me know that there are hogs close by and want out of thier boxes. We stop and let the 2bay dogs out and they will let us know when to let out the 2 catch dogs. We start runningin the direction of the dog barks untill we get to the catch. We use head9volt light gear and use either side arms or knife to cut thier throats or tie them up and take them live. Sometimes if they are small, we just cutthier nuts and turn them loose to let them get bigger.
Never go by your selfwhen hunting with dogs. We usally try to be aleast 3 of us and expirienced dog hoghunters at that! During the day, it's only 2 of us. Sometimes we catch 5-6 hogs in one day or night!
Dog hog hunting is not for everybody, you have to know what you're doing and don't have time to teach anyone that is new doing this while on the hunt!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Quick Reply: Hogs at night Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.