Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

lbs of meat in a hog

Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Default lbs of meat in a hog

My question is. How much meat in pounds can be expected from a hog? If a hog is 200 pounds then how much meat can be expected or mabye it is easier to ask how much weight will be thrown out, like skin, bones, head, innerds and such.

As I posted the other day, I got my first pig an I am suppose to pick it up on friday. i am kinda wondering how much meat I can expect to pickup.

thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: lbs of meat in a hog

You loose 30% on butchering and if you debone, another 10%. Depends if you leave the head and skin on for roasting whole. The only thing you should loose on a pig, is the squeal!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM

it really depends on , if you do it yourself or someone else.if you have a butcher do it; then you get about 50%
they tend to get the main meat and throw out the hard stuff.
me I will get about 65%; thats allboned out for sasuage.if you keep all the rib bones and ham bones, then you get maybe70%.the bones are a lot of the weight.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Climber, do y'all keep the skin to make rinds? Man, we love the fresh pork rinds!
We also save the hocks tocook in the Greens.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Our hogs don't make that much meat.200lb hog would go something like this...

-45lbs(head&hide)
-70lbs(guts,rib cage,backbone)
-10lbs(legs&Hambone)
total 120lbs.
Meat?
Hams 20lbs each
shoulders 15lbs each
Backstraps&tenderloins 10lbs
Deboned- another 15-20 lbs.
Grand total 65lbs of meat after processing.

Let me know how close I am.Hogs are mostly head&guts.If you go rebel hogs route you may wind up with 210lbs of meat....Alot of people do just as he says.I wasn't raised up learning how to make some of the things he can.Not to say I'm wasting meat.I am wasting guts,and a head though.[8D]I like to shoot them in the head or neck anyways.Good luck!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM

rebel ; on my wild hogs , I don't save the skin and hocks.I skin and debone the whole thingfor sausage.

if it is a tame or pen raised hog ; then I schald and scrap,save the skin for cracklins and cook off the lard.the head goes into headcheese.usually we have the hams cured and smoked. the chitterlins are saved and cleaned for the sausage casings .that way we can save the hocks for the dry beans.on those we save it all.

as daddy always said " we save everything except the squeel , and we would save that if we could catch it"
Old 12-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

rebel ; on my wild hogs , I don't save the skin and hocks.I skin and debone the whole thingfor sausage.

if it is a tame or pen raised hog ; then I schald and scrap,save the skin for cracklins and cook off the lard.the head goes into headcheese.usually we have the hams cured and smoked. the chitterlins are saved and cleaned for the sausage casings .that way we can save the hocks for the dry beans.on those we save it all.

as daddy always said " we save everything except the squeel , and we would save that if we could catch it"

Old 12-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Rebel Hog Tree climber its nice to see some hardcore west fl hunters its been a long time since i have heard hog talk like that
Old 12-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nc bearhunter

Rebel Hog Tree climber its nice to see some hardcore west fl hunters its been a long time since i have heard hog talk like that

NC, I usally go to NC (Maggie Valley&Waynesville) twice a year! One of them times we are going to meet for lunch!!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

10-4 i am east of asheville in swannanoa

Quick Reply: lbs of meat in a hog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.