Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler) >

how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler)

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler)

Old 12-19-2005, 03:37 PM

Default how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler)

I am looking for ideas for something to move hogs after they are shot in order to transport them back to the truck.Right now I am not in the position to buy a nice four wheeler to do the task.

Draging a 200+ hog for very far is a pain in the butt I recently found out.the place I will be hunting will be 1 1/2 miles to 3 miles away from the truck. There are some pathways interwoven through out that I use to get back and fourth to the genreal areas where I want to hunt.

I was thinking of some kind of cart with bycicle type wheels that I could pull. Light weight with tall tires to make it easy to pull. has any one done this kind of thing. I know I sound cheap, but there are times when you eithor do it cheap or cannot do it at all.

I would rather not quarter the animal in the field and make trips back and fourth and cannot afford a four wheeler right now, so I thought this seemed feasable. I can weld so mabey a light weight framed cart with a plywood bottem, single axle, with alarge bike tire on each end. Tell me what you think. No laughing please...o.k. laugh!

thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler)

HA!HA!Prim, join the club!As you get older you leave them 200-300+ hogs and start taking the 80-100lb pigs. Partner you can't afford an ATV and you don't want to quarter it and make trips? Quess what, I give you three quess'es and the first two don't count!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Hehehe yeah he's right.That's why I like to shoot smaller deer!If you are too far from the truck you have3 options.

1-use a game cart.I have but the heavier they get it still is hard to move it.

2-OR,go ahead and cut off his head,and gut him,then get the cart,if you are stalking just pack a saw,knife with a blade greater than 3"(along with some rubber gloves)in your backpack,so you can saw off the head at the neckbone,and field dress..

3-Before carts were a must..[8D]We made a tag team pull rope.Which consisted of two ropes,one for each dragger.We would cut a 6" section of pvc pipe,and run the rope through it,and made a handle,kind of like a ski rope.We would hook the other end around the tusks,and get to draggin'.We would still gut them.It's easier to drag them forward,than by the back legs.Hope I helped.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is just what you need and they have it on special right now

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=39540&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=7&hvarSubCode= 10&hvarTarget=browse
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM

i the days before i got my wheeler, i got a '01 recon fortrade on a broke '89 suzuki sameri and $500; we used to tie onto the hind legs and dragem backwards. of coarse there were 2 of us and we took turns. I have see a simple will barrel withthe barrel removed and some 1x1s put in for support used before. but i wouldnt think they would work to well on ruffer terrain.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

now days i won't shoot a hog unless he's standing underneathe the tailgate of my pick-up truck when i walk out of the woods...lol

i think i've gotten lazzzzzzy!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

now days i won't shoot a hog unless he's standing underneathe the tailgate of my pick-up truck when i walk out of the woods...lol

i think i've gotten lazzzzzzy!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

If you are in that situation again here is the best drag method that we have found. It takes at least 3 people. We normally take them out alive so all of the body parts are still attached....Get a couple of ropes behind the wethers (big, blunt teeth coming off of the top of the mouth). One person is behind the hog and keeps it rolled up on its back (feet straight up in the air). The other 2 do the pulling and swap off when someone gets tired. The hardest job is keeping a large, live hog on its back but they pull much easier this way.

-john
Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM

TX hoghunter,

I will not in the forseeable future be bringing home a live hog...boy would my wife fly off the handle! It would be like, "Merry Christmas honey, check out the wild hog in the back yard I got for ya". Her reply would besomething like, " Merry Christmas, I'm going to my moms...bye...door slams...car starts".

But yeah, I quickly realized that it is going to take more than one person to bring it out if I was going to drag it. Iknow it is probablynot the safestpractice, but I usually go hunting alone. Seems every time I give a call to people who said they want to go out next time I am going hunting, and they say yes and to pick them up, they usually back out at the last minute. So Idon't try to plan my hunting around having a second hand to help out.

On another note, I was at Lowe's today and saw they had some very long (seven feet or so) wheel barrow handles. I thought they would be great forhog dolly handles, justbuild a small frame forthem to attach to and put a couple20-26in bike tiresunder it. I think this will work fine and not be so heavy.

Thanks again all
Old 12-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: prim79

TX hoghunter,

I will not in the forseeable future be bringing home a live hog...boy would my wife fly off the handle! It would be like, "Merry Christmas honey, check out the wild hog in the back yard I got for ya". Her reply would besomething like, " Merry Christmas, I'm going to my moms...bye...door slams...car starts".

Prim,my partner and I both have holding pens for wild hogs on our properties. My partnerhas about 20 in the pen right now. Before next Sunday they will all be butcheredand sold for $2 and $3 a lb! We can sell all we can trap for the Holidays! My wife likes the $$$$$$$.

Quick Reply: how to move killed hog (no 4 wheeler)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.