Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

lbs of meat in a hog

Old 12-19-2005, 10:35 AM

Default RE: lbs of meat in a hog

Because it's a hog! not to much goes to waist, where you do loose a lot of weight is from the hide on a pig. But the pork is soo good.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: prim79

Well ranch hand,

After adding it all up before puting it all in the freezer itcame up to 60 pounds of processed meat from the butcher. I was hoping for more honestly but I guess you wereright on. I guess I will have room for one more in the freezer after all. I thought it was going to be full from this one.
SWEET! 5lbs off!!! THEN AGAIN.....go back and tell the processor to hand you back the 2 or 3 packs he kept for himself.[8D]That'll put me dead on.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 PM

Yea, only five pounds off, that was pretty good. I hoped for more but at least this way I can tell my wife that I need to go hunting again to fill the freezer since it is only half full...or is it half empty. Still cannot wait to fire up the grill this weekend and see how this boar taste. I've heard bad and heard good about wild boar as far as taste. I grew up on a hog farm and we cut their balls of when the pigs were weened from the sow, I think meat taste was a factor in that so I am interested in how much different the flavor will be.

thanks again

Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

How did you get it made up?Sausage?Let me know how you like it!I think you'll like it.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM

I had it made up into pork chops, tenderloin, one largesugar ham, ham steaks, brats, and ribs. The next one I get I'll do up some sausage for sure. The butcher understood that I wanted all brats and no sausage. Oh well, just meansI need to get another hog...right!

I have not cooked any up just yet but am looking forward to it. If you have any recipies for any of the cuts above let me know or just simple tips on cooking wild pork for a new guy like me to follow.

thanks agian