Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in? >

should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in?

Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Spike

Default should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in?

I have a 900 acre lease in the Atchafalaya Basin, here in south Louisiana. I've hunted the property for over 30 yrs., and have never seen a hog on the property. Now hunters have seen hogs less than a mile away. I have heard of hogs moving in and the deer moving out. Is this true, should I shoot ever one I see, or should I welcome the year-round hunting? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in?

I live in West Texas and can tell you that the farmers and ranchers want them DEAD. Can kill new caves/colts/lams, crops, you if you make a error in thinking they are afraid of you.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

I whould kill ever one I saw!! They destroy habitat, kill young fawns, dont fool yourself and think they are just vegatarians!! They like meat also...

And yes if a lot of hogs move in the deer will move away .. hogs suck!!

Did I mention I hate Hogs!!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:24 AM

I hunt on 650 acres in Florida where quality deer and plenty of hogs all live in harmony. I have video of hogs, deer and turkeys all feeding within 30 yds. of each other. It's true the deer aren't all that fond of animals that make as much noise in the woods as hogs do, but I have seen them show up within 15 minutes of each other under the stand. They do infringe upon nutrition and in areas where there is less available food, I can see where it could become a problem.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Hogs multiply so fast that you should really shoot as many as you can. A sow will dump a heap of piglets, and I don't think that they have too many natural predators, and they are about as hardy as a cockroach and they can get by on a little bit of nothing as far as usuable land is concerned. I would shoot em up and eat well. Give the meat away if you want, but kill a ton of them.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We shoot all we can and haven't been able to put a dent in their population. They will leave for a little while but come right back. We always have a list of people who want hogs that we give them to. Though a lot of peolple are lazy nowadays and want us to deliver them to them cleaned and ready for the freezer. We tell them we will quarter them and put them on ice for them but if we have to cut them up to we are going to keep them ourselves. My uncle used to plant 2 acres of sweet corn and my aunt offered to bring some to work for the people there and she actually had people tell her they would take some if she shucked it for them first. She told them she would plow it under first.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I read a report about 5 years ago that est. the hog population in Texas to be two mil.
It also stated that there were two types of land owners in Texas
Those that have hogs and those that will have hogs.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

I live in North Georgia and we have had about 20 hogs move in so fast it was scary, I talked to a friend of mine whos a retired game warden and he said that theres been a upward increase of 350% of the Feral/Wild hog population in Ga since 1985. and since thev'e been here I've seen no deer or turkeys and (2) week old calves have gone missing, (but coyotes could have got them) so my advice shoot 'em,
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck getting rid of them. Their better at surviving and populating than any other animal, including us. Even if you shot every one of them. There's more where they came from and they will eventually find their way. The deer will be very skitish around them for a while, but will become used to them. At least this is my experience. I would work onkeeping the land as inviting to deer as possible, and enjoy the year round hunting. The deer will adapt, not sure on how long this would take. In Ca. deer andhogs go hand in hand. We're starting to seehogs in places that have never reported hogs before. Not sure how they're affecting deer and turkey populations in those areas, haven't heard anything yet. I do know that hungry boars tend to chase turkeys, but the turkeys don't ever seem to leave an area full of hogs. Don't know why. Anyway, I think you're stuck with 'em.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: bigboar23

I hunt on 650 acres in Florida where quality deer and plenty of hogs all live in harmony. I have video of hogs, deer and turkeys all feeding within 30 yds. of each other. It's true the deer aren't all that fond of animals that make as much noise in the woods as hogs do, but I have seen them show up within 15 minutes of each other under the stand. They do infringe upon nutrition and in areas where there is less available food, I can see where it could become a problem.
I could not have said it any better!

Quick Reply: should I be glad or sad about hogs moving in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.