HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   What broadheads do u recommend? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/116281-what-broadheads-do-u-recommend.html)

Trapper_Hunter 10-10-2005 09:52 PM

What broadheads do u recommend?

What broadheads do you guys recommend on hogs? Or what have u used and ur experiences with them

cardeer 10-11-2005 01:44 AM

RE: What broadheads do u recommend?

Fixed thuinderheads

tnhoundsman 10-11-2005 02:44 PM

crimson tallon 100 grains

CuddyCudmore 10-11-2005 06:11 PM

I would recommend the muzzy 4 blade I have had the best luck with them I have shot elk, and moose with them and have had no complaints about them im new the hog hunting but I dont see why hogs would be any different as long as you put the shot right in the boiler room you should have no problems with muzzy's

tnhoundsman 10-11-2005 06:44 PM

cuddy ya got a little thing called a shield to go through on a hog unless ya know to wait on a quartering shot, and believe me it isn't that easy to get through.

Rebel Hog 10-11-2005 07:00 PM

tnhoundsman 10-12-2005 02:15 PM

reb good lookin broadhead haven't seen it used. most of the hunters we get in use either muzzy or crimson talons and from what i have seen the crimson leaves the best blood trail, it's hard to get a good blood trail on a hog but they seem to bleed better with th crimson

bigcountry 10-12-2005 05:22 PM

Same thing you use on deer. You would be darn lucky to get thru that shoulder and breast plate with any broadhead. Maybe a crossbow or a special setup with 100lb draw and 700gr arrow. I use 100gr thunderhead, and it goes right thru em.

Tuffbroadhead 10-12-2005 05:52 PM

I have harvested plenty of BIG hogs with my Montecs, the secret to harvesting the big one with archery gear is waiting for a good quarting away shot....just scroll down and check out the picks of the hogs from a awhile back that I harvested , Threads are call whackem with Montecs...

bigboar23 10-12-2005 08:52 PM

Amen, The quartering away shot is the kicker. Slip in behind the plate so you don't have to worry about punchin' threw it. I personally use Game Tracker 125 First Cuts. It's a fixed blade with a mechanical behind it. In the heavy palmettos down here you need blood immedietly or you lose the pig in a maze of heavy cover and never even find a blood trail to start on. That hole has to stay open wide or the fat will seal it up. These have worked like a charm. Blood trails like sidewalks right from the start.