Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Castrating a dead hog?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Castrating a dead hog?

I was always told thats the first thing you need to do once you shoot a male hog or it will ruin the meat. Is this true? Thanks, sean
Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Castrating a dead hog?

Since a dead hog is no longer circulating blood or other fluids I'd have to say no unless you're chowing down on his oysters . How could the meat get ruined by fluids that can't move through the circulatory system anymore ?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 AM

In my experiences I would have to say that is a crock! The only thing that I do with a rank boar is bleed it out. Cut the jugular. After skinning and quartering I age them in a cooler for 7 to 8 days. Packed in ice the whole time with the drain plug pulled. Secret is do not let the meat touch each other. Requires repacking frequently but it is worth it. Makes the old boar tase really good. I have neever casterated a dead hog other than routine feild dressing!!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 AM

Same here. I've had people ask me this one a lot. I've never done it and my pig meat always ends up tasting great as usual. Like K2SOCO said, aging the meat for a couple of days works best.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

k2soco is right the best thing to do is pack the meat in ice and let it still for a few days draining the water off adding more ice as needed. We keep ours on ice for about 5 days. We just quarter them and throw them in an ice chest and poue ice over them and keep the water drained off.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I seen a guy in south Texas cut a gland out on the noars back near its tail ?? he said that will make the meat stink
Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seen a guy in south Texas cut a gland out on the noars back near its tail ?? he said that will make the meat stink
Javelinas will have a musk gland on there back that a lot of people cut out when they clean them. Though if you are careful when you clean them you don't have to cut it out. You just need to be careful you don't cut it or squeeze it.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:10 PM

I have heard the same thing about removing the testies. It is untrue you are more likely to get smelly stuff on the meat by handlin the family jewels before skinnin the hog. I tend to get good results on stinky hogs by soaking the meat in ice and water for a few days . changing the water every day and keeping plenty of ice in the mix.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:49 AM

I agree with the ice and water for a few days..let the stinch drain out..that's the way I do both deer and hogs. A guy told me last yr. that he puts a gallon or two of grapefruit juice in the ice with hogs and the citrus helps pull out the boar hog stinch. I don't shoot boar hogs anymore so couldn't say.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot really see why either. Would a hog be any different than any other game animal. Castration isn't the first thing I think of when gutting the animal.

Quick Reply: Castrating a dead hog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.