Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Field Dressing

Old 10-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Field Dressing

Around here we use a razor blade box cutter to cut the skin on the hog in strips and then pull the 4 or so inch strip off the hog. Its a lot easier than trying to take it off in one piece.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Had to field dress and process two hogs. I went out bow hunting for deer and saw none. Did see some hogs so I went and arrowed two. Ill have to post pics because It was two hogs and a rattle snake. I hate the heat.[:@][:@]
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Had to field dress and process two hogs. I went out bow hunting for deer and saw none. Did see some hogs so I went and arrowed two. Ill have to post pics because It was two hogs and a rattle snake. I hate the heat.[:@][:@]

Way to go, bro! Like to see them pic's!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I had to use a regular camera for the pics. When they get developed Ill scan them. The snake is pretty neat. I have never arrowed a snake from a tree stand.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 AM

I say to field dress them the same as a deer. The only difference for me is I skin and quarter a hog on the ground. I use the skin as a blanket. This is just how I was taught and has stuck with me for years. I find it to be cleaner as well it keeps hair off the meat.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

First off i know very little about hog hunting,have taken one with a bow years ago and one with a rifle this past march.
In march I was hunting on a payed hunt at a plantation in the south,the weather was pretty warm.The guide told us if we shot a hog not to get out of our stand he would get it when he picked us up at dark.I shot one at 4:30,he came to pick us up told him I shot one and showed him where,he looked forit the dark for about 4or 5 minutes said I must have hit it in the shoulder and didn't do any damage to the hog,(I,m shooting a 270 wsm and a barnes TSX 130 gr bullet)Then he said he would look for it again when he picked us up for lunch the next day.When he picked us up we all helped him look and the hog had went about 20 yds and dropped.He said the hog may or may not be any good after laying there all night without field dressing.So he took it back and skinned it hung it in the cooler,the next day when we were to leave the hog had allreay turned green ,black and yellow.I told him to through it away I wasn't eating anything like that.
Now this guide has had many,many clients over the years do you think he should have had enough knowledge to know that the hog had very little chance of being good after laying there all night and half the next day?? What would you have done if you were the guide??

Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 AM

That is a no brainer for me! Almost anywhere that you have the ability to hunt hogs it is way to warm to leave an animal with guts in. I hunt hogs in SW FL and can tell you there is no way I would have attempted that. I also believe that it was not ideal to only track for a couple of min. There were to many issues here that casused you to loose your hog. Many hog hunters simply do not care if they find the hog or not because #1 there are no bag limits, #2 these animals are a nusience. I am not saying it is right but that is the way it is. I am not this way. You were paying your guide you should have told him to track longer and harder to be able to obtain your animal that is what he gets paid for. Just my opinion. Sorry I get a little upset when people put no effort into finding their animal.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the guide only searched for a few minutes he did not do the job he was paid to do. My uncle used to work as a guide down in South Texas and they used to use dogs to track and find any animals shot that they couldn't find after about 30 minutes. Where I hunt we have searched half the night to find a hog or deer we shot. We've crawled through the brush on our hands and knees with flashlights looking for blood spots to find them. We've had to search for as long as 4 hours to find a hog. We mark the trail as we go and if we loose the bloodtrail we look back at the general direction it was travelling and try to look farther ahead to pick the trail up again. We'vefound a few hogs by doing that.With a hog they normally don't go far though they don't bleed alot externally because if the fat so you don't have a very good blood trail to follow a lot of times. We've found them alot of times piled up in thick brush where we walked right past them the first time and didn't see them.