Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Spooked Hogs

Old 09-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Spooked Hogs

I went on a hunt in llano county on a friend of mines ranch for the weekend. We only hog hunted one evening- the rest was for doves.
Im using a 55 lb bow with muzzy 100 grain 3 blades, and i got all ready.
Eventually all of the deer came to eat the corn(there were about 10), and i was in a treestand. The wind was in my favor and i had good cover.
Then 2 hogs(around 40lbs ea)showed up, started eating for about 5 seconds, then bolted away. Could it have been the deer that spooked them, because i had not moved and i was covered in scent killer-and the wind was helping me.
Or are hogs just like that?
It was going to be my first bowhunted animal besides a squirrel :P and i really beat myself up about it for not taking a quick shot(although that would have been stupid)
What do you think happened?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spooked Hogs

It could have been the deer.
Hogs have poor eyesight, however their sense of smell is excellent. Are you sure the wind didn't shift. Who knows, one may have got spooked and the other one followed. Being that young they may have just been playing..
Llano co. is great hogs and white tail.. I love that area. I hunt in East and West Texas, but I want to retire in that area... it's really nice.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:46 PM

It was my first time in a treestand- and i saw lots of deer.... gonna go back in deer season.

I also have a ranch in west texas.. im still trying to figure out how im gonna get close enough to peg a mule deer.
Im thinking of shooting like an hour a day to get my draw weight up to around 60 lbs and then going for a longer shot if i feel confident about it... nothing else really comes to mind.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 PM

I've seen that size hogs do that a lot. From my observations, it seems to be that they are in a type of play mode. I've watched ones that size chase each other all over a hill and just swirl around and keep doing it. At first it looks like they are trying to catch a whiff of scent, but I think they're just toying with each other.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:10 PM

I wish the sun stayed up longer... or they are more then.. because the next day a whole bad of corn and hog wild was gone and we saw tracks EVERYWHERE.
School tomorrow.. *sigh*
Old 09-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Also, is it legal to bowhunt hogs at night?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, you can in Texas... You can spotlight too, it's just good to call your game warden in the area and let them know you will be spotlighting for hogs...
A good way to hunt at night is with soured corn, and hang a lattern close by, hogs will come into the light to feed.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Yes, you can in Texas... You can spotlight too, it's just good to call your game warden in the area and let them know you will be spotlighting for hogs...
A good way to hunt at night is with soured corn, and hang a lattern close by, hogs will come into the light to feed.
REV, you old dog you!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, I might add, you will have to find your hog at night too... Where I hunt you might have to get down on your hands and kness to get through the brush. It is a very humblingexperience to stuble on a wounded hog and look eye ball to eye ball while on your hands and kness. How fast can you crawl? (Ouch)
Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

How To Take More Hogs

Quick Reply: Spooked Hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.