HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   How do you cook your hog? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/110984-how-do-you-cook-your-hog.html)

crimson tide 08-30-2005 08:03 PM

How do you cook your hog?

I tried something the other day that turned out pretty good. We were having a catfish fry for the office. I took some backstrap off a boar I killed in the spring and cut it thin, about a 1/2 inch. Threw it in some meal/salt/pepper and tossed it in the hot deep fry (peanut oil) for about 6 minutes. It was good! I had several people ask me what it was and commented on how good it was. That was a big departure from how I normally prepare it but it was a pleasant surprise.

Rebel Hog 08-30-2005 09:44 PM

RE: How do you cook your hog?

I do mine like the Chinese: Dig a pit in the ground, I fill the pit to the topwith
Oak limbs, start the fire going and wait for the pit to glow red with Oak charcoal,
place a baby bed box spring over the pit, place the pig which has been hair scraped
while placing scalding hot soaked burlap sacks on it to make the scraping easier,
have a 5gal bucket of Kirbys "Mojo" Marinade and a long handle paint brush for
marinating the pig, after that I place roofing tin over the pig. Every half hour or so
I lift tin and keep marinating it, till done!

I forgot to mention, after scraping the hair off, gut andhose off good.Iroast the pig
with the head, feet and tail. Many families will be doing this in a few months for the
Christmas holidays. White rice, Black beans, Yuca, Cuban bread and Roast pork.
Oh man, what a feast!!!

The Rev 08-31-2005 02:05 PM

I quarter them up, and cook slowing on a bed of hot coals. Marinade them with some special apple vinagar sauce I make.... Made some yesterday for my birthday, served them up with some potato salad and red beans... Make a man go blind!!!!:eek:

burniegoeasily 08-31-2005 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I quarter them up, and cook slowing on a bed of hot coals. Marinade them with some special apple vinagar sauce I make.... Made some yesterday for my birthday, served them up with some potato salad and red beans... Make a man go blind!!!!:eek:
Sounds good, Happy B-day Rev.

I like to brine cure the hams and then smoking them for about 8 hours give or take(depending on size.)

Hunter06FlKy 08-31-2005 03:09 PM

we marinate ours with a bunch of different sauces that i can't remember what they're call right now. then we slow barbque it for quite a number of hours. very good stuff to say the least.

SHoNUFF 08-31-2005 03:36 PM

80% of the time i would say i Pit roast mine. Set my pit on 420degrees for around 8hours and let'em cook. I have used all kinds of rubs/seasonings/marinades, rite now i am on a RUdy's Rub kick very nice seasoning. .I am in the process of building a pit JUST for pig roasting. Will be trailer mounted and have all the bells and whistles. BIG 6'x36" pipe pit with a 3'x3' fire box with propane burner for those wet logs, HUGE 5' single door with pully assist, and a 4" drain with threaded cap on the bottom for easy cleaning. I will also have a 4'x3' woodbox mounted on the front and a 2burner fish frier and sink just in case. She should be a nice one (and my first) and hope to have her done sometime before our big November cookoff/no later than our December BBQ. 20% of the time i put them in the ground (these always taste better, maybe its just me)

Rebel Hog 09-01-2005 04:09 PM

Has anyone used one of these?

Rebel Hog 09-01-2005 04:21 PM

The Cubans use two small chain-link gates and attache long pipes for handles.

Rebel Hog 09-01-2005 04:23 PM

SHoNUFF 09-01-2005 04:53 PM

y didnt i think of the cinder block idea =) haha i build a nice hibatchi grill outta firebricks, THOS cost some $$.