Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30 >

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Old 05-27-2020, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I upload straight from my phone. The mobile interface has a “current attachments” box below the reply window, I click “manage attachments,” then in the next window, “from device”. Select the desired photo, upload, and done. Easy peasy. My only complaint is that it only displays as an attached thumbnail, not as an embedded photo. iOS interface.

With the hood removed, the front sight should simply slide into a dovetail in that base - which is a good thing. Super simple to replace with a taller blade.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Tnx Nomercy448. Here goes.

These are pics from my trip to the range

edit - I don't know if I hate technology more than it hates me or not. I seriously don't know what to do next. Clearly going to the gun store won't help.

Last edited by DJfan; 05-28-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

I don't understand why people continually try to struggle with using HNIs image upload. The HNI image system works fine for some people. For others, like myself, it does not work at all. And for those it does work for- you end up with a little tiny thumbnail image in your post.

Go to imgbb, and follow the directions I posted if you want to post an image.

I've also posted the instructions under the tech section and it's a little more detailed.

-Jake
Old 05-28-2020, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know why this didn't post earlier. But this is how your sight picture should look with your point of impact resting on top of the front sight bead.
Attached Thumbnails Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30-semi-buckhorn-sights.jpg  
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Absolutely false! If you move the rear sight higher you have to tilt the barrel down to get your sight picture making gun shoot lower. You move the rear sight in the opposite direction of where you want to shoot.
Umm.... Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying which is possible...nope.

Go do what I said to do with your fingers on the first page. Raising the rear site, you have to bring the barrel UP to line up with the rear- this raises your point of impact.

You move the rear site in the SAME direction you want your point of impact to go. You move your front site in the OPPOSITE direction that you want your point of impact to go.
-Jake
Old 05-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Umm.... Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying which is possible...nope.

Go do what I said to do with your fingers on the first page. Raising the rear site, you have to bring the barrel UP to line up with the rear- this raises your point of impact.

You move the rear site in the SAME direction you want your point of impact to go. You move your front site in the OPPOSITE direction that you want your point of impact to go.
-Jake

oops, brain fart.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Absolutely false! If you move the rear sight higher you have to tilt the barrel down to get your sight picture making gun shoot lower. You move the rear sight in the opposite direction of where you want to shoot.
Nope - the taller the rear sight, the higher the impact. When the taller rear is held level with the front sight, the rear of the barrel drops, increasing the up angle of the barrel, casting the bullet higher.
Attached Thumbnails Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30-be2fb230-9742-4947-bab2-f3955b089e03.jpeg  
Old 05-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I don't know why this didn't post earlier. But this is how your sight picture should look with your point of impact resting on top of the front sight bead.
That is how I line it up. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DJfan
That is how I line it up. Thanks for the help!
Then you're definitely going to need a higher front sight if you have your rear sight as low as it will go and you're still hitting high.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure you keep with the same type of ammo and weight or you will be all over.
I would move your target out to at least 50 yards....myopen sighted rifles I normally sight at 75. I use a piece of posterboard with a mark centered to sight with...it accounts for significant variance.
You mention that you are using a shooting sled, so that should provide consistency. Next I ask, are you wearing good hearing protection? amazing how gunshots will make us flinch unvoluntarily, moving our shots.
Like everyone else has mentioned....you move the rear sight the direction you want your bullet to go.
Next, I have to ask, what is your sight picture? Are you shooting for a mark covering it with your front sight? If so, you are shooting blind, which doesn't help.
You should be holding the top edge....the very edge, at the bottom edge of your target dot. That gives you a fine shooting point. Aim small to miss small.
I replaced my rear ramp sights on both of my (pre-64, 1950s vintage) model 94s with a Lyman aperture sight. It allows much better instinctive sighting, easier adjustment, and both of mine had factory drilled holes for the sight. You may look into that. It is one of the absolute best and cheapest ways to improve the shooting of a 94.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.