Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30 >

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Raising the rear sight will raise your point of impact, without question.

If you have shot with the sight as low as it goes and it STILL hits too high, then you need to replace your front sight with a taller blade.
I was thinking about this. Where can I get one?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DJfan
This is my second trip trying to sight it in. On the first one we all debated these two points. I took it to a gun store, and they said to raise it up. I have tried both. All the way up and all the way down. No real luck with either. Not sure what to do. I don't want to put a scope on it. I love the traditional look.
1 ) You still haven't mentioned the distance you are trying to sight in at . My suggestion is trying no more than 40 yards until this issue is solved

2 ) Everyone posting here explaining to you that raising the rear sight up will also make your gun shoot even higher is absolutely correct
The person at the gun shop that told you to raise the rear sight is an idiot and should not be allowed to handle guns

3 ) It is impossible to have the rear sight set at the highest and the lowest setting and end up with the same result on the target. If you are shooting 2 ft high on the lowest setting on the ramp , then shooting your gun on the highest ramp setting will shoot like a grenade launcher WAY over the target

Questions

When aiming with the rear sight at the lowest setting on the ramp , can you see the ramp when aiming through the V ? If you can then someome maybe has replaced the ramp with one that doesn't belong to to that gun.

Do you see 2 adjustment screws one on each side of the V ? Some of these sights had them and some didn't . If you do , loosen them up and lower the rear sight V.

Is your front sight a blade or is it a bead ? If its a blade , are you aiming with the blade even with the top of the V on the rear sight or are you holding it higher than the top of the V . Personally I have never liked the blade front site.

If you have a bead front site , are you holding the bead at the bottom of the V in the rear site , but still seeing the the entire round bead ? That would be the right aimpoint.

If you have done all these things and everything is still way off in elevation , measure something and tell us what you found.

Take a fine measuring device , anything you have that can give you an accurate measurement , and measure on the front site the distance from the barrel to the bottom or the bead , if you have a bead , or measure from the barrel to the top of the blade if you have a blade.

Lower the rear site to the lowest setting on the ramp . Measure the distance from the barrel , or in this case the receiver , to the bottom of the V and another measurement from the barrel or receiver to the top of the V. Basically this is the top of the rear site . By these measurement you should be able to tell if someone had replaced the front site with something that was too low , or replaced the ramp with something different than the original.

If you find a set of measurements that match the same between the front and rear site , then your sites are aiming on the same plane as the barrel and should be shooting straight minus some fine adjustments .

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 05-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking about this. Where can I get one?
front sights cn a be had in tons of places, about any place that sells gun parts, and from OEM< winchester

but here are a few for you, you will need to know what size front sight you have NOW< before ordering a new one
, and do you know how to remove and install one?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/W94DFS

https://schaefershooting.com/3ae3ab4...-94-sights.htm

and some info or you to maybe read on front sights

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=15908
Old 05-26-2020, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the responses, Gentlemen. I have a few answers -

I am shooting 25 yards.

The first outing I didn't take very seriously going in, as I just assumed it would go as planned. I didn't take a lot of ammo, so the results were not real legit. The second outing I took my shooting sled, and used Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain.

Please be clear on this - whether all the way up or all the way down, the rifle shot high. I did not say that I hit the same spot in each case. It was just high no matter what.

SportsmanNH, you have taken this to a technical level that I have few answer for, but will get. I appreciate your insights and will follow up soon. I have an urgent task of mowing a lawn after work (usually a two day episode) from "She who must be obeyed" to tackle first.

I will try to post pics if possible.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being slightly high at 25yrds isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’d expect a 1/4-1/2” high at 25 for a 30-30 with irons zeroed at 100.

What type of front sight base does it currently have? Is it screwed on, dovetailed, banded, or soldered?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Being slightly high at 25yrds isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’d expect a 1/4-1/2” high at 25 for a 30-30 with irons zeroed at 100.

What type of front sight base does it currently have? Is it screwed on, dovetailed, banded, or soldered?
It has a fin with a white dot on it, surrounded by a circular cover that slides off. The front sight (not the rear sight) look very much like this one in the link.

https://www.fernwoodarmory.com/Winch...80_p_1361.html
Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

It has a fin with a white dot on it, surrounded by a circular cover that slides off. The front sight (not the rear sight) look very much like this one in the link.
If your front sight looks the same as the one in the link , then I would think its an original . How about the rear sight ? The one in the link has the 2 adjustment screws I mentioned before. Also does your ramp look like the one on this new link ?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
If your front sight looks the same as the one in the link , then I would think its an original . How about the rear sight ? The one in the link has the 2 adjustment screws I mentioned before. Also does your ramp look like the one on this new link ?
I'm not seeing it. Some are close. How the heck do I put up a picture of my gun? I have had no luck with photos on this forum.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Go to a site called imgbb.c o m

You don't need an account or membership. Upload the photo. Select "don't auto delete image"

Then upload.

Then select "BBCode full linked" copy and paste that text directly into your post here.

Hope that helps.
-Jake
Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, food for thought on issue';s with uploading pic's here(and else where)
try logging in under a different browser
I know old er folks that use AOL and or other browsers, cannot, add pic's to many forums, due to there not compatible with forums, systems for allowing uploads

so, some time's just logging in with a different browser can allow something to get posted that wouldnl;t on the browser your trying on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.