Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30 >

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

Old 05-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trouble sighting in my Winchester 30-30

I have a new (to me) 30-30, from the five year gap where paperwork was lost. It has iron sights. I can't get it sighted in. It hits seriously high. I actually hit the paper today, but was aiming almost two feet low. The rear sight is as high as it will go. I even tried it very low just to make sure I wasn't being crazy. I just don't know what to do now.

Any tips?

TIA
Old 05-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

well not sure what you mean by paperwork was lost, but, OK?
WHAT Model 30/30 lever action is this??

First question I have is at what range are you trying to sight this rifle in at, are you shooting free hand or off a bench with sand bag?
are the sights originals, or did someone at some point alter/change them?

Last edited by mrbb; 05-22-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Moving the rear sight higher will make it hit higher
Old 05-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ON some 94's there is a second adjustment that can allow for the rear sight to go higher on the ramp

but again, there are SO many different models of 30/30 by Winchester, not knowing what model you have, and or sights ON said model
its very hard to offer more help

there is always again, the option of changing sights, be it front or rear to make things work and since you haven't I gather owned gun since NEW< no clue as to if previous owner changed sights??
but its all fixable for sure with not a lot of mods needed to do so!

please post what exact model and possibly even take some pic's of sights on gun, to help US , help YOU better!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

It's a model 94. There is a five year gap in the paperwork that Winchester lost. I think it's from 1943 - 1948. My SN falls in that bracket.
I can't for the life of me up load pics. I will search for links.

Here's a link to a 30-30 with the same sights I have.

https://secure.arnzenarms.com/produc...-sights-no-box
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

You lower the rear sight to hit lower! If it still hits high after you have the rear sight at its lowest position you can get a higher front bead sight.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You lower the rear sight to hit lower! If it still hits high after you have the rear sight at its lowest position you can get a higher front bead sight.
The rifle your posted in the pic appears to have a ramp rear sight with a lot of adjustment left in it. Rais the rear sight and you should be able to sight it in. Lift the strip that has the rear sight on it and slide the ramp rearward.
This is my second trip trying to sight it in. On the first one we all debated these two points. I took it to a gun store, and they said to raise it up. I have tried both. All the way up and all the way down. No real luck with either. Not sure what to do. I don't want to put a scope on it. I love the traditional look.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hold your dominant hand fingers in a V shape and your off hand index (or whichever finger you prefer) up in the air and line them up like a rifle sight. Move your 'V' fingers up, and adjust your front finger until the sights are lined up again. Your index(barrel) went up to line up again.

If I were you I would do some reading on proper iron sight usage, sight picture, adjusting, etc. Watching some you tube videos if you can find quality ones may help as well. Once you know you are sighting it properly etc, then go back and try again.

​​​​​​Move the rear sight DOWN to lower your point of impact.

Good luck!

-Jake
Old 05-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok so are you saying your moving the ramp (rear sight) all the way UP{ and DOWN, and its NOT making any noticeable difference??
are you again SHOOTING< off sand bags and a bench, or free hand?? at WHAT RANGE are you shooting thing??

do the sights on gun seem to be originals or NOT, a gun this old has most likely gone thru many hands over the yrs and as such, many times things get replaced

there should be a noticeable difference from lowest position to highest
and if there adjustment sights, there should also be more adjustment that can be had on them, there should be two screws on rear sight that can allow for some extra movement in things
at about the 6 min mark
sorry not best vid, but what I found fast for you)

then there are a TON of again different rear sights you can add to adjust things, or a shorter front sight,
can go to peep sights? lots of options on these lever guns, if you do NOT wish to go to a scope

but you need to explain how your shooting and if your seeing movements at all or not

from highest to lowest setting on ramp at a 100 yards, there should be a well over a foot of POI(point of impact) movement
if your NOT getting tthis, it MIGHT be the shooter, and NOT the gun, as there is NO way around things, when your moving a sight that much, it HAS to effect point of aim! and thus where its impacting target!

if your having issue's at grouping(you are shooting for groups and NOT just moving from 1 shot to the next RIGHT??)
if your NOT seeing movement, I suggest maybe having some one else shoot gun to rule things out!

and also, what rounds are you using?

Last edited by mrbb; 05-23-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Raising the rear sight will raise your point of impact, without question.

If you have shot with the sight as low as it goes and it STILL hits too high, then you need to replace your front sight with a taller blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.